Chapter Thirty-Nine

Comenzar desde el principio

"He's not a fucking source for money! You may get the benefits and food stamps you want, but he's going to cost you so much more than you'll actually be bringing in. With the benefits and a job, you'll still need to give him your money. Things are only going to get more expensive as he gets older."

"He's not your business anymore," Eddie snaps, looking livid now. I rest my hand on Matteo to stop him from upsetting him any further but he continues.

"Except he is our damn business because unlike you, we actually give a shit about him!"

"You're pushing your luck," Eddie says, stepping forward.

Matteo pulls away from my grasp and towers over him. "No, you're pushing your luck, man. We came here today to insist on helping financially with him."

What?

Eddie's face transforms, falling in confusion. "Financially? What the hell do you mean?"

"I mean if we can't be in Charles life full-time, we still want to ensure that he grows up without struggle. He's been through enough."

"You didn't set that up in court."

"Well, I'm telling you now."

Eddie is the first to back up, retreating into the corner like a dog. He chuckles, sitting down at the dining table. "Well, you do care for him, can't doubt that... how much?"

"Two thousand a month," Matteo states, sinking his hands into his pockets. If I had been drinking water, it would have spit out of my mouth in this moment. "On one condition."

Eddie scoffs, smirking. "I knew there had to be one."

Matteo remains silent, and it's intimidating as hell. The sound of UFC is the only noise in the house until Eddie breathes in, having had the chance to think about what Matteo is offering. Think about how much he wants it.

"What is the condition?"

"Emma and I are allowed to see Charles weekly."

"This feels a lot like blackmail."

"It's persuasion, not blackmail. You can tell us no, and we'll settle for seeing him every two weeks. And you'll settle for being two-thousand dollars short every month. Your choice." Matteo grabs my hand, lifting it to his lips.

Eddie nods, pursing his lips. "Or I can go to the court system and tell them what you're doing."

Oh, god. Oh shit. Matteo, what the hell are you doing?

Matteo smiles. "You definitely could, but you won't. You're a money man. You're going to take the cash we're offering and you're going to let us see him every week because it would be ridiculous for you not to."

Eddie ponders it over, staring at the bottle on the table, letting us hang on the indecision. "One day, every week. Three hours."

"The entire day," Matteo counters as I squeeze his hand excruciatingly. Eddie blinks in surprise and Matteo holds up one of his hands.

"I don't know why you'd say no to that. It's a day you'll be able to have completely to yourself and the courts won't know about it. One day and the next morning, we will bring him back to you."

"Fine."

Matteo nods, sealing the deal. "What day is best for us to take him?"

"Friday night."

"I will have the money then. Two thousand and not a penny more, you hear me? Otherwise, we go back to two week visits and you work to support him."