Chapter Fourteen

I stare down at the white silky fabric of my dress, my fingers laced through Matteo's. There's an oval-cut diamond on my left hand now. We are only newly engaged and yet three couples away from marriage.

Marriage.

My family doesn't even know. They don't even know I'm about to be married. I can't even imagine the conversation I'm going to have with my mother or the one Matteo will have with my father. I'm in no rush for that day.

"We'll do this again, Em," Matteo whispers gently, kissing my temple. I glance up, surprised with how badly I want to cry. "I promise. It will be everything you've ever wanted."

"This is it," I whisper, leaning into him. He smiles softly, looking rather lost. My Matteo, the one I fell in love with, the one who had problems seeing anything clearly, is back in Technicolor. And while it's familiar to me, it's also terrifying.

After this, we'll go straight to get Charles while Rory informs the judge that we married. We'll keep him until we go to court to then find out if the judge has granted our request. There won't be a honeymoon period. I'll be trying to figure out how to take care of a child after today. So will Matteo.

Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick. I pry my fingers quickly from Matteo's hand, leaping up onto my feet.

"Em—"

I sprint to the nearest restroom, my hand clasped tight over my mouth. I slam open the restroom stall and bend just in time, heaving into the toilet.

"Poor girl," I hear someone say between my groans.

I flush the toilet when I'm sure I can't gag anymore, pulling myself up off of the newly sterile floor.

How can I be a mother? Charles is going to expect me to be his mother, to help him grow up. Matteo and I are going to be parents.

"Emma?" It's Matteo's voice. "I'm sorry, but did you see—"

A woman speaks up, taking pity on my future husband. "The vomiting girl?"

"Um, yes... Em?"

"I'm okay," I choke out. "I'll be out in a bit."

I exit the stall, fixing my dress, making my entrance to the prying eyes present, a line of ladies at the sinks. I run my fingers through my hair uncomfortably and step up to one of the free sinks, trying with all my might to keep it together. Disgusted with myself, I gurgle water and spit it out discreetly. I'm washing my hands when a young woman holds out something to me. I look down, finding it's one of those disposable finger-sized toothbrushes.

"You should take this. You need it more than I do," she says, smiling kindly.

I take it, lips trembling. Stop it, Simone. Stop crying, right now. "Thank you."

She combs through her orange locks, placing a white flower in her hair. "Arranged marriage?"

"No."

"Kid on the way?"

I nod. "Something like that."

"Your guy's pretty hot. You should be rejoicing."

"I am," I answer, brushing deeply. "Just nervous. Are you getting married?"

She nods. "My third. Hopefully my last." With a smile, she closes her purse. "Good luck, honey."

"Thank you," I whisper, grateful for the unexpected kindness. I wipe my mouth, pressing my hand to my forehead, aware of the stares I'm still getting. I know Matteo is on the other side of that door and I don't know how to face him.