Chapter Five

My fingers lazily drift over Matteo's pecs, his skin burning my cheek as we lay together in bed, reflecting on an exhausting day. I've felt every emotion imaginable, and only here, now, can I feel myself relaxing.

"I've been thinking about the living situation," Matteo suddenly says, disrupting the calm.

"Oh?"

"I thought about it a lot today, the pros and the cons of being together like this, right off the bat. And I began to see things differently. I think I got a bit nervous when you initially asked, simply because I don't want to let you down. It would destroy me to let you down again."

"I know everything won't always be easy, Matteo. I know that. I know I have things to work on too."

"Lying here, I find it hard to imagine anything better than this."

I sigh, contentedly. "There isn't anything better."

"I think we should then. I think you're right. We should try to do this right."

"Seriously? You're sure?"

He nods, smiling softly. "I am. I've come all this way. What's another leap?"

***

"Do you work on Christmas Eve?" Matteo asks, putting on his dark leather shoes. I look into the mirror, setting down my nude lipstick.

"No, I'm going with my family to a shelter to make Christmas dinner."

He chuckles. "God, you are a saint."

"I'm not. I've barely given anything to charity this year. I've gone once to NYMC."

"NYMC?"

"New York Mission Center. Homeless shelter."

He nods, standing. "How long does that usually last?"

"A few hours," I murmur, pressing my lips together. "You could... come with us?"

"Yeah, I'm sure your parents would love me crashing your tradition."

I walk over to him, smiling softly. "I think it would be great, to have you there."

I wrap my arms around his waist, resting my head against his chest, embracing him.

"I think I'll pass."

"All right, well, I left you the spare key on the counter and I've officially informed Marvin that you live here now."

He smiles and turns, walking to the desk for his wallet.

"What are you planning to do today?" I ask.

"Now that is a surprise," he states, smirking.

"Oh?"

He nods as I grab my purse, dressed in casual blue jeans and a white t-shirt, accompanied with converse. "Well, I'm off. Call me if you change your mind and I can give you the address."

"All right," he says. I turn hastily, already late. Mom and Dad are probably already there. I'm skirting around my couch when Matteo says my name.

He inhales, looking down, gearing himself to say something difficult. I wait silently.

"I've gone to that center, Emma. Back when I first got to New York... I want you to know that's why I don't want to go."

I blink. "You were homeless?"

"Yes, in and out of shelters."

"For how long?"

"Years. I know the owners of that place well."