Chapter Twenty-Six

Hesitantly, I step out of the room for the first time in two days the next morning in black yoga pants and one of Matteo's oversized t-shirts. My mother and father are sitting in the living room area. My father has Charles on one of his knees. He's bouncing him.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear nervously and Matteo gently rubs his hand over my back encouragingly.

My mom looks up, gasping. "Emma!"

Charles looks up at her exclaim and for the first time in days, I smile wide, unable to contain my relief in seeing him. I move as quickly as I can when he extends his arms for me frantically. I lift him up, pulling him into my chest.

"Hey. Hey baby."

He begins to wail with laughter as I lay kiss after kiss on his soft cheek. After days of sleep and tears, distraction is good. "Is that stain on your mouth lollipops? Have you been spoiled?"

My parents chuckle as Charles grabs hold of my shirt, clasping it between his hands. "Momma... Mummy."

What?

I freeze immediately, my eyes flickering to Matteo. He's watching us with wide eyes, realizing the significance. That Momma was different.

I lick my lips, smiling awkwardly. "Emma, you mean. Emma?"

"Mummy," Charles reinforces, glancing around me casually as if he hadn't just shifted my world off it's axis.

"Oh, isn't that just the sweetest thing?" my mother gasps, getting emotional.

I stare at Charles, feeling every possible emotion. After a moment, I nod, barely keeping it together.

I am, aren't I?

***

I look up from the couch as Matteo approaches, looking pale. I sit up, shaking my head. My parents are happily doing their duty being grandparents and have taken Charles for ice cream, just down the block. "What's wrong?"

"I have to go speak with Rory. He just left me a voicemail. Will you be okay here?"

I shake my head, moving to sit up. "He called me two days ago. I couldn't reach him. I can go too."

Matteo shakes his head, stopping me. "No, baby. I want you to rest. He probably just wants us to sign papers or something."

"We just had Child Protective Services here a month ago. We passed."

"I don't think it's about anything involving us doing something wrong." He leans down, kissing me gently. "I'll be right back, as soon as I can."

"I want to go with you."

"Emma, no." I blink back shock at the refusal and he breathes in deeply. "Please stay. It will ease my mind. You need to sleep."

He stands back up straight and turns, rigidly. I sit up, watching him go.

There's a problem... one so bad he doesn't want to tell me.

***

I wake up in Charles bed, even though he's not there anymore. I remember the sun had just gone down when I put Charles to sleep. My parents were wiped out and went to bed as well. I must have fallen asleep.

Shit! Matteo! Rory! Frantically, I scramble out of the bed, grabbing the door. I pull it open and Matteo looks up from the stove, dressed in a maroon sweater. "Good, you're up."

My mother and father are at the island, eating, talking amongst themselves. Charles is in his seat, bouncing. His bowl is already empty. Matteo gestures to the plate beside him on the counter.

"Come get breakfast."

"Thank you..." I stop beside him, reaching up his kiss his cheek. "I was expecting you to wake me up last night."

"Why?"

"Rory?"

He chuckles, shaking his head, reaching for the pepper. "Oh, he was just letting us know that we have another visit coming up to check up on Charles."

"He's never told us about that before."

He shrugs. "I don't know then. He seemed normal."

"He gave Matteo a bottle of wine for his birthday. Emma, you didn't tell us Matteo's birthday is tomorrow!" my mom exclaims.

Matteo smirks as I gape, horrified. "I don't want to celebrate it, Emma. And I also gave the bottle to your parents, so don't worry about that either."

"How could you not tell me that?" I gasp, shaking him. He leans down.

"Just get your breakfast and rest."

"I'm rested enough. We're doing something for your birthday."

Mom and dad nod, surprisingly. "Yes, we're in town for one more day. We should all go out together."

I regard my mother then smile back to Matteo. "Yeah!"

He shakes his head. "I'd really rather not."

"A dinner at least? We could go out or I could make it?"

"No," he says, shaking his head. "There is no way you're going to stand up tomorrow after this week and cook me a dinner."

I pout, looking down.

"Well, you can't really object to me doing it then?" My mother interjects, brows raised. Matteo blinks at her as the pancake burns on the pan. I grin as Matteo looks down in defeat.

"It's settled then!" I exclaim, pressing my hands on the counter. My mother looks at my father, smirking. I lean into Matteo and he chuckles, shaking his head exasperatedly.

***

"A delivery for Matteo Giordano."

I look from the delivery man to the small package tucked under his arm.

"He's at work. I'm his wife. I can sign off."

He nods, handing me a pen and his clipboard. I quickly scribble my name across the signature line and hand it back to him, reaching for the box at the same time. It's surprisingly light.

Shutting the door, I turn, looking at the addresses on it.

Poulsbo, Washington

My eyes widen. Washington. Washington is where Matteo is from.