Chapter Thirty

"The veil goes down like this, under the flowers in her hair," Hugh says to my mother, coming up behind me. I watch them through the mirror as Veronica applies my makeup meticulously in front of me. My mother throws up her hands, backing up to give Hugh his space.

"Are you sure you don't want something for the nerves, honey? I had a shot before I married your father. Three, actually." Veronica gapes at her.

I chuckle weakly, unable to move my face. "Mom, I'm already married."

"You're fidgeting."

I smile. "I'm just enjoying this."

"Did Matteo really set all this up himself?" Veronica asks, glancing outside. The archway we'll be married under is being set up. My father and Cesar are outside, helping with the flower arrangements and white chairs, draped with satin. The flowers are purple lilacs... for first love. That was Matteo's hidden gem.

I think of him alone in the other room, just a room away and I'm hit with a wave of unease. He has no one beside him, no family. He had no one he felt important enough to bring to this weekend. Charles and I are all he has.

"Earth to Emma!"

I look up, finding my mother holding up the dress. She smiles. "It's time."

***

I gaze into the mirror, running my manicured nails over the creamy satin material of the wedding gown. Simplistic and bias cut, it's backless and conforms to the shape of my curves, the ones I do have. There are white forget-me-nots placed on the edge of my veil to match with the ones in my bouquet.

Veronica heeded my advice and remained simplistic for my makeup, going for a natural look. Since we'll be on the water, it should feel calm and carefree. I don't want to worry about my makeup.

"Oh, darling," my mother sighs, coming up behind me. She runs her hand over my arm. "You look exquisite."

I smile, turning to her. She pulls me in close. "I've always dreamed of this day. I'm glad you let me be apart of it."

"I want you to always be apart of my life. You and dad."

She pulls back, caressing my face gently. "I have to give you your something old and something new, borrowed, and blue."

I chuckle. "You remembered to bring them?"

"Of course."

She walks to her purse, pulling out a small box. "Okay." She opens it and I peer inside, excited. There's white lace, only a small piece. She lifts it up. "I thought this could be perfect to fold into your veil at the hairline. It was used on your Grandma Claire's veil and mine..."

I wait as she carefully mixes it into my veil. She backs up. "Perfect."

Next she fishes out a blue ribbon. "To wrap around your bouquet."

I chuckle, biting my lip, feeling oddly nervous. "Why do people do this?"

She pulls out the something borrowed. It's her earrings. The ones she wore at her wedding. Diamond studs. "It's a sweet tradition. It's been fun saving these."

I smile wide as put them on, finding when I'm finished that the outfit has come together nicely. She holds up a necklace last. "This is from your father and me."

It's a delicate silver chain, one that goes around my neck like a choker, clasping in the back with a row of diamonds that descends down in between my shoulder blades.

I blink, staring at it. "Mom, you shouldn't have."

"It wasn't just her." I turn, finding my dad at the doorway. He's in a formal tuxedo. It's the first time I've seen him so dressed up apart from his wedding photos.