Chapter Thirty-Six

My eyes flicker open multiple times throughout the day but my body barely processes it, falling back into darkness each time. It doesn't matter if the sun is shining in my eyes or I hear Matteo rustling in the room. Even when he tries to wake me, I still can't open my eyes.

It isn't until I feel two hands on my face that I finally can see. "Emma, you need to get up, right now. You've been sleeping for over twenty-four hours. You haven't eaten in almost two days."

I look into Matteo's face and turn, escaping his grasp, closing my eyes again. "I'm not hungry, Matteo. I'm exhausted."

"Yeah, you're depressed. I get that and you're scaring the shit out of me. I'm not going to let you do this to yourself."

I peek through one eye, aggravated. "Do what to myself?"

"Break. I'm not going to let you break right now."

"Just let me sleep, Matteo. Please," I plead, clutching onto the pillows.

My body hurts. My stomach hurts. My head hurts. My heart hurts.

Sleep makes all that go away.

"Damn it, Emma!" he growls. I want to open my eyes when I hear the concern in his voice but whatever is hovering above me is too strong. I'm being selfish and I can't stop it.

I hear him stand up from the bed.

"Well, you've left me no choice then," he growls before I succumb to the darkness again.

.***

The light flickers on and I squint, feeling the bed drop beside me.

"Emma, wake up."

My eyes peel open as I find my mother sitting before me. My father is behind her, looking pretty horrified. My eyes wander back to my mom, who shakes her head, resting her cold hand beneath my neck.

"Matteo, bring the food over here."

She lifts my head up, forcing me to sit up. I glare at Matteo, who sets down the tray on the nightstand.

He glares right back. "Don't look at me like that. I'm really pissed at you."

"You were right in calling us, Matteo. It's just the grief talking."

"I can hear you, Dad," I snap, leaning back against the headboard. My bones have never felt as bad as they do now. I hear cracking. My mother grabs the plate of steak and green vegetables, holding a fork. I look away from her when she tries to feed me— in front of my husband and father.

"I can feed my own damn self."

"Except you haven't," Matteo snaps. My dad rests his hand on his shoulder, stopping him. My mother looks at the both of them.

"Guys, can you go for a walk or something? I'd like to speak with Emma alone."

I remain silent, feeling like a teenager all over again. I rub my eyes as the men turn, walking towards the door.

My mother hands me the plate of food, settling it into my hands gently. I look up at her, tight-lipped. She sighs, rubbing her hand over my thigh. "Men don't always understand, Em."

I stare at her, unable to speak.

"Matteo doesn't understand what you're going through. His attachment was strong, but you loved that baby the moment you held it. It took him a long time to feel love for him..." She smiles softly. "But you have to cut him some slack."

I look up, trying to push back the tears that form against my will.

"He's downright terrified and has every right to be. I mean, look at you. You haven't showered in days. Your eyes aren't even black anymore. They are purple. I mean, the guy said he hasn't left this hotel, scared you'd do something to yourself!"