Chapter Thirty-Seven

Each day begins to roll into the next, slowly and uneventfully. Matteo goes to work because he has to. He's can't miss anymore shows without royally pissing off his producers, his company and most of New York City.

I begin to prepare to go back to work. I can't sit inside all day. I can't act like this hasn't happened anymore. It has. It's our reality and shutting myself away is only going to make me worse. We're finally seeing Charles tomorrow and even after all the talks with Rory, trying to figure out a way to get him back, we still come to nothing.

I'm nervous and anxious and terrified to see him. I don't know what to expect anymore.

***

Matteo knocks gently on the blue door, glancing down at me. Within moments, Eddie Castano opens the door in jeans and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. His hair is extended in every which direction and looks like it hasn't been washed in days. He doesn't look anything like the man we saw in court and my worst fear is realized.

"Mr. Castano," Matteo says curtly. The man observes us from head-to-toe before letting us in. I take one more glance outside at this poor excuse for a neighborhood before walking in behind Matteo, taking the hand that's behind his back, outstretched towards me.

"So, three hours," Eddie finally says, leaning against the kitchen sink. The apartment is small but at least it's clean. There's a kitchen and on the other side, a place with a couch and a television. There are no paintings up, no pictures. I look on the counters for Cheerios, finding none out in the open.

"How... how has he been?" I ask bravely. Eddie looks at me and shrugs, sniffling.

"He's fine, been fine."

Matteo clears his throat, looking around before pinning his gaze on Eddie. "Alright, well, where is he? We're planning to take him to the aquarium."

Eddie doesn't answer right away. They just seem to stare at each other while the seconds pass and I glance around uncomfortably.

"In his bedroom. On the left," he finally says.

"You go on and get him, Em. I'm gonna talk with Ed for a bit," Matteo says, his voice shrill. The multi-colored stripped wallpaper gives me the creeps as I walk through the hallway. I open the door to the left and sigh heavily in relief, finding Charles in a crib that's too small for him. He stands up, gasping loudly and my heart practically bursts back to life.

"Mummy!"

I grin for the first time in two weeks and pick him up, clutching him to my body as tight as I can. There is a stuffed animal in the crib and a changing spot in the corner but nothing else. The rest of the room is bare.

"Ow. Mummy that hurts. Mummy, I missed you."

I kiss his hair, nodding. "I missed you too, baby. I missed you too."

I pull him back, gazing at his features, making sure he's okay. He grasps my hair in his hands. "I've... I've not got Big Bird."

I nod. "We brought him. He's in the car. We're going to the aquarium!" I gasp, smiling wide. He rests his head against my shoulder, wrapping his arms as far as he can around my neck.

"Where's daddy?"

"He's right outside. Let's go see him."

I exit the bedroom, uncomfortable when I find Matteo standing by the front door, his arms crossed over his body. Eddie is sitting at the dining table, drinking out of reused water bottle. They both look my way as I enter the space again.