Chapter Three

My eyes open in a calm flutter as my alarm goes off beside my ear. I reach out, pressing down on the device on my nightstand and turn over, expecting Matteo to be there. However, I can hear the shower going and in his place on the bed is a tray with breakfast.

Unaccustomed to breakfast in bed, I begin to sit up, reaching for the orange juice with a grin. I take a sip, glancing to the bathroom door when he cuts off the water. I'm sore, battered, and completely immersed in a high.

Matteo's actually here, in my apartment... and he's made me breakfast.

I move to sit up, popping a grape into my mouth as he exits the bathroom, wrapping a towel around his waist. My eyes greedily follow the water droplets gliding down his defined chest. Is this actually happening?

He approaches me, pressing his fists into the bed to lean over me. I melt into my headboard, biting my lip expectantly, unable to stop looking at him. He is gloriously present, looking just as glad to be here as I am to have him.

"Kiss me," he demands.

Feeling bashful, I lean in, planting my lip onto his, pulling back almost as fast, aware I'm moments out of sleep.

"Do you like the breakfast?" he asks, taking a seat beside me.

"I love it." I grab a piece of toast. "Are you eating it with me?"

"That's all for you," he replies, shaking his head. "I have a meeting in an hour with the board, about where we're going next with the shows."

"Another tour? Really?"

"Maybe," he answers, grabbing my hand. His eyes rest on my bed stand. I glance over as he reaches out, grabbing two books from the table. His books.

"Did you honestly read these?" he chuckles. I nod, smiling wide.

"All the time."

He sets them back down. "I also noticed the guitar in the corner of your room. Any progress? I know we didn't get too far."

"I'm pretty good at it, actually," I proclaim proudly. "I learned."

His smile grows. "I'm glad to hear it... any other new forms of progress you've made over the past eight months?"

"I work at a magazine now," I add as he grabs the tray, resting it onto my thighs. Holding the sheet loosely to my breasts, I reach for the fork, blushing fervently as Matteo's direct gaze moves over my scandily-clothed body.

I smirk, breathing in. "You are a lot more intimidating now."

"I know what I want," he replies, tilting his head. I giggle as he grabs the tray, setting it onto the floor.

"And what is that?" I gasp as he unhooks his towel around his waist, pulling down the sheet at the same time. He doesn't answer me, he doesn't have to.

***

Hugh perks up when I stride through the door, holding two steaming coffees. The peculiar scowl he gives makes me nervous until he raises his hands. He also has two identical coffees from the corner market.

"We really do need to call each other before we pick coffee up in the morning," I mutter, depositing them on his desk.

"I could actually use the extra caffeine today. I have the biggest fucking hangover of my life after last night," he complains, standing up with his clipboard. We head into my office, my brand new half-home, on the top floor of the building. Yes, I have officially made it, and brought Hugh along with me in the bargain.

"Oh, I could get used to this," I hum pleasantly, glancing around the fully furnished office space. I charged Hugh with furnishings considering he has a better eye for interior decorating than I do. He has not done me wrong.

"Can you pinch me? I'm not convinced my life is my life right now."

He pinches me, fully aware I was kidding.

"Ouch."

"You asked."

I plant myself in front of the window, still in 7th heaven, replaying my late start to the morning. Matteo and I ran out of my apartment together, still fumbling to get our clothes on. While both of us had places to be, we sat outside the door, unable to leave even though there was a taxi waiting at the curb for him.

"You don't look hung-over whatsoever," Hugh notices suspiciously. I look at him, breathing in deeply.

"Matteo's back."

Hugh's eyes widen. "No fucking way."

"I know. I didn't think he would. But he's back and he's better... and he wants me still." I laugh, shaking my head. "I'm still in shock."

"How did he find you?"

"He was outside of the party. He caught me at the taxi."

"Holy shit Emma, after all this time. Wow."

I nod, giddy - truly giddy. "Everything just feels better, honestly. He's a different person than the one that left me for London."

"He's sober?"

I nod.

"That's huge... to quit in less than a year."

"Yeah, I know. Oh, Hugh, you have no idea. We connected on a completely different level yesterday."

He smirks, humming. "Oh? In what way? Do tell."

"In every way."

"You deserve this, Emma. I hope he's realized what he's got this time."