Chapter Twenty-Four

I lay back, blinking tiredly at the pale green wall of the hospital room. There's a man beside me who was just taken out of surgery. The woman on the other side of me in the busy E.R. is crying... loudly.

I'm in a clean hospital gown. All traces of the miscarriage are gone now. Still sticky from the sweating, I turn my head towards Veronica who's on the phone, sticking out like a sore thumb amongst the rushing doctors. Hugh is in the waiting room with Charles.

I look away from her, back at the wall.

I was pregnant. The doctor said twelve weeks... and I didn't even know it.

Emma, do not lose hope. Many women have miscarriages and end up having perfectly healthy children, the doctor said. He also said the baby had stunted growth and hardly grew past the first month.

I tried to fumble through words, tried to figure out if I had a miscarriage because I'm never going to be able to have children. None of his answers seemed to help.

I hadn't even thought of having a baby before today. I have a kid, one that came unexpectedly. I wasn't thinking of having another, but now, it's hard to push back that someone had been growing within me for three full months. All the raging emotions I've been experiencing make sense now. I'd barely been eating, which makes it understandable why I looked so sickly... because I was depriving the child inside of me too.

I look away from Veronica as she approaches, clutching her phone tightly to her side. "Hey. How are you feeling?"

I nod. "I'm fine."

"Matteo's on his way back. He's with mom and dad."

What? "Why is he with them?"

"He was there. His conference in Detroit ended at three this afternoon. He flew to Savannah after that. He's been there an hour now, but they're getting a flight back."

I'm able to piece two and two together. I lean my head back against the pillows, lips trembling violently. He was there to try and talk to my mother.

Fuck. I'm biting back tears. "When can I leave?"

"The doctors said they're keeping you overnight for observation. They want to make sure you are okay through the night." She grabs my hand, trying to comfort me. "The doctor told you about the bleeding?"

"Do I have to stay? Charles needs to sleep. It's late."

"Yes, Hugh is going to take him home, stay with him tonight. I'll take over before he goes to work."

"Thank you," I whisper, looking down at my hands. I need Matteo.

"He should be here by midnight," she says, reading my mind.

I nod, clearing my throat. "Is... Is it okay if I'm alone for a little while?"

She nods, unable to stop herself from frowning. "Sure... I'll be in the waiting room."

"I'm sorry," I whisper as she stands. She shakes her head and I see the tears.

"I'm just... I'm glad you're okay. I'll be back in a little while."

I nod, watching her leave the room before I lift my hand to my mouth, trying to conceal the sounds of my cries.

***

Purple Rain is playing on the screen across the hospital room. Prince is on stage sweating profusely, singing. I can't hear it. The audio is off. All I can hear are ringing phones and chatter.

I can't sleep. I turn over onto my side, clutching my arms. Even with the blanket, I'm still freezing. I hate hospitals. I wish I could just go home.

"Where is my wife?" I turn, hearing the chaotic boom of my husband's voice. He's at the reception desk. A young nurse is blinking up at him in awe. I catch sight of my mother and father hurrying through the door. They look around frantically before seeing me. My mom is crying.

I look from them, hurrying towards me to Matteo, whose dark eyes are on me now too. His gaze falters with relief at the sight of me and he turns, even though the receptionist is still talking to him. I'm caught up in my parent's arms, tightly, so drugged up I barely feel anything.

"I'm okay," I reassure them, over and over again.

They back up and Matteo grabs a doctor walking by. "Why is my wife not in a private room? I called ahead to make sure of it."

The random doctor regards him coolly. "We've had a wave of patients toni-"

"Get her into a private room, now," Matteo seethes, startling me with his venom towards the man.

I speak up, hoping to spare the man who isn't even my doctor. "It's okay, Matteo... really."

"It will be a few hours, sir," the doctor presses. "There are no private rooms available at the moment."

"There would have been if someone had done their fucking job earlier," Matteo grumbles, pointing to the television. "She's gone through something traumatizing and you've got Purple Rain playing on the goddamn TV? Her sister just told me no one has been to check on her in hours."

My mom runs her hand over my hair. I wish I could tell her that I don't want to be touched right now. I just want Matteo.

"Sir..."

"I'm going to take her home," Matteo states, coldly. "She'll be better taken care of there then here."

"Sir, I will see to it that someone comes by-"

Matteo looks at me, ignoring him entirely. He raises his brows to me. "Do you want to go home?"

I nod immediately and he looks back to the doctor. "I'd like her discharge papers, now."

The doctor nods after a moment, positive he's not going to win this argument. I see the girl beside me staring, eyes wide. In fact, the entire hospital room is staring.

My dad looks down at me, lips formed in a look of awe.

Okay, my husband is a superhero.

***

"I've got her," Matteo says, shutting the driver's door. My parents are climbing out of the car, watching Matteo in silence with wide eyes. He comes to my door as I'm getting out and heaves me off the ground and into his arms. I don't resist him. I don't care what it looks like. I'm just glad he's holding me. I wrap my arms around his neck, burying my face into his shoulder.

"Jesse, will you park this in the garage?" Matteo asks gently, having calmed down from the hospital fiasco. My father nods, leaving my mother's side. I feel Matteo's hand on the back of my head as he takes us up the steps of the building.

"Mr. Giordano, is she alright?" It's Marvin's voice.

"She's fine," Matteo says to our attendant friend. "Thank you, Marvin."

He hits on the elevator button. We're stopped.

"Emma, can I get you anything from the drug store?" my mother asks.

"She's already on too many as it is."

"Well, he did say she went through a difficult amount of pain. At twelve weeks, that's not really a normal thing. I mean, Emma, you have nothing to worry about but if you're in pain..."

"I'm fine, Mom," I say groggily.

I hear Matteo sigh and we walk into the elevator. I inhale his scent, and it's more comforting than I thought.

"Well, what about food? Are you hungry at all?" she persists.

I shake my head, closing my eyes tiredly. I can barely keep them open.

I feel Matteo's lips on my hair.

"Sleep, baby," he commands softly, so only I hear it.