41 Moment of truth

The statement and photos I had released in the last month had been shared millions of times. What had happened had surpassed what I wanted. Most tabloids praised me for my honestly and bravery. TMZ said it was nice that someone in the public eye owned their past and not just throw money at it to go away. I had to hire my own publicist as the job opportunities were rolling in. My publicist was Paula she was a real firecracker, she was getting me interviews and guest appearances. Over night I had gone from a wag to a regular on TV, fame had never been something I aspired to but I was enjoying it.

It was my 20th birthday in a few days and Donnie told Paula to keep my schedule free for 2 weeks as he was surprising me. I had Donnie and our perfect home what more could I possibly want.

I was catching sun on the beach near our new home when I saw Donnie running towards me, I smiled as I took in his muscular body. My husband really was hot.

"Paula called, you've been offered the chance to be a judge on a dancing competition on TV"  he said as he sat besides me.

"no way, please tell me it's the showgirl one" I replied.

"yeah there offering you a really good salary  the only downside is its filmed in Las Vegas. You would need to be out there was 12 weeks" Donnie replied.

I would have to refuse it I couldn't be away from Donnie for 3 months.
"like everyday in those 12 weeks I asked"

"that was my concern, Paula Is going to ask what days you would actually need to be there and if they would cover your travel backwards and forwards"  Donnie seemed just as excited as me.

Donnie and i walked back to the house hand in hand. Our life had been so simple and happy since we moved in this house, Donnies home in the Hollywood hills had sold quickly to an up and coming actor. We loved our life in malibu, we would wake up and run on the beach with our dog every morning and it was heaven. I'm not going to lie and say it was all good , we still argued. Donnie was missing work he would find himself getting frustrated and angry with the progress of his knee. His patience was at all time low.

........

I was just making Donnie lunch when my phone rang, Donnie answered I watched as he was silently listening. I was curious what was going on but I didn't want to burn Donnies food . I looked at him and he put his thumbs up at me, a giant smile was spread on his face.

"thanks Paula, she's just cooking. fax the contract when you have it and she will sign." Donnie said cheerfully.

"go on then spill" I shouted in jest.

"well kid they have said the programme will be live Friday so you can fly home Saturday and return Tuesday to help coach the dancers. Plus they will accept all your travel costs" Donnie almost screamed.

I screamed and jumped on the spot, I was so excited.

"I'm so proud of you kid" Donnie said as he spun me in his arms.

"I fucking love you" I said as I kissed him, it was true he had made my life worth living. He made me happy I knew I could be penniless and living in a little apartment but along as he was with me I would be happy.

The shows promotional filming was beginning a day after our holiday but Donnie said it wouldn't be a problem.

----------------------------------------------
We were at a small private airstrip about to board a private jet when Donnie informed me that we were going to Vegas for two weeks.

"I had planned it before you got the show its not as exciting now,  your gonna be here for 12 weeks your gonna get sick of the place" Donnie said.

"no way I haven't got sick of LA and I've been there two years. I'm so excited to see it all with you"

We checked in at the hotel , it was amazing how beautiful it was.  We were shown in to a large suite, I walked into the bathroom and was surprised at the size of the bath.  I couldn't wait to get Donnie naked in there.

Donnie and I went to the reception to see what shows were on as I wasn't old enough to gamble. It seemed so crazy I was old enough to get married and own a house but I couldn't drink or gamble. Well only a year and one day until I was 21. Donnie immediately chose the grand canyon  tour bus he said we would do something exciting tomorrow on my actual birthday.

The tour was great it even included a stop at an all you can eat buffet on the way, Donnie definitely got his money's worth. We visited the museum and gift shop after we had spent a few hours visiting the canyon.

Donnie made me chuckle by buying so much junk. He had become obsessed with buying a magnet for each place we visited, he was planning to make one wall of his office a map and put the magnets on the places we had been . He had said once he retired from basketball we would tour the whole of the US.

I fell asleep on the journey home, I was awoken by Donnie whispering in my ear.

"kid were back at the hotel, you want me to carry you"

I shook my head and quickly brought myself around. We walked off the bus and saw my former friend Gina sat on the stairs that led up to our hotel. I thought I was just sleepy and seeing things until I rubbed my eyes and saw she was still there.

"we need to talk" Gina said quietly.

"she needs to do fuck all with you" Donnie spat as he pulled me past her.

"Donnie stop I want to see what she has to say"  I said as I struggled against his hand.

"you know what she did why would you want to hear one word that comes out of her mouth" Donnie was getting angry I could hear the impatience in his voice. I knew that when I returned to the room later he would be shouting at me.

"go to the room, I'll be up shortly" I ordered.

Donnie went but not quietly, I could hear him swearing all the way to the lift.

"why don't we go sit by the pool, it will be quiet at this time" I suggested. I really didn't want to be near her, Gina had broke my heart when she sold that story about me.

Gina followed me in silence until we reached the pool and sat in the loungers. It was so awkward between us, all the friendship was gone.

"So what do we need to speak about" I asked. I was surprised she had the balls to come and see me, I had expected her to cower away like the rat she was.

I finally had the chance to look at her and take in her appearance, she looked tired and stressed.

"I'm sorry Emily, what Mae and I did was wrong. Mae had suggested it when we were discussing saving up for a down payment and I jokingly agreed." a stray tear fell from Gina's face as she spoke. I remained silent and waited for her to continue.

"I didnt mean it, I had no intentions of selling any story,  Mae turned up one day with that guy off that website you hate. Mae started to tell him about your work at the Blue room and I just filled in the gaps. I felt like I had to,  they were both there staring at me. The money meant nothing" I was so annoyed, she wasn't accepting any responsibility.

"nothing,  did you spend it" I yelled.

Gina simply nodded.

"can I just ask why you didn't tell them about me working at the club in Queens" . I had been surprised that bit of information had never been reported. I was happy as I didn't want tammy dealing with the fall out of hiring an underage dancer.

"Mae doesn't know about that so it didn't get mentioned and I sure as hell wasn't going to get anyone in trouble" Gina replied.

"thank you I appreciate that, I want you to know that I can't see you again. You betrayed me and I can't have you in my life. I don't want to constantly be worried that the private parts of my life will be sold to the highest bidder." I sounded stern but not unkind, Gina looked crestfallen but this was the way it had to be.

"I understand I'm so sorry, I'll go have a nice birthday tomorrow" Gina said as she stood and started to walk away.

"do you have the money to get home" I called as I walked behind her.

"yeah thanks" she said before she hurried off.

I respected Gina for being honest but I would not be able to trust her again and what is a friendship without trust. Sometimes sorry doesn't fix everything.