39 Truth be told

I was getting out of the cab and walking up to my home when I was surrounded by press. I wasn't sure what was happening I hadn't had a call from anyone.

"Emily is it true you worked as an exotic dancer when you met Donnie" a large photographer shouted as his camera flashed in my face. I thought I had imagined his words until I heard more shouts.

"I was a dancer in a gentleman's club yes" I replied calmly, I sounded calmer than I was. I wasn't going to lie, I wasn't embarrassed of my past.

The truth about my past was starting to become news,  it had been a little under two years ago so I was unsure why it was only coming out now.

When I got in the house I called pat my old manager and he promised he had no idea where the info had come from. I wasn't embarrassed, there was nothing to be embarrassed about. I made an honest living and paid my own way.

I felt bad for Donnie,  he was finally on the mend and he didn't need the negative attention. Things were already difficult between us. I looked for Donnie but he wasn't home, a sign on the fridge told me he had gone to our Malibu home.

I drove to our new home to busy myself with painting, I hoped that would keep my mind off what was happening. We moved in our new home in only two weeks so I had spent all my time there. I hoped Donnie was ok with the reveal of my past career.

I walked through the door of our malibu dream home and was immediately greeted by my dog roxy, she was jumping happily at my feet.

"find the fucker who spilled and sort it" I heard Donnie shouting from the back room. He had heard about me being accosted by the press, I could tell in his voice he was angry.

"kid is that you" he asked as I walked through the house.

"yeah babe,  have you heard" I asked although I was sure I already knew the answer.

"yeah I just had a call from the perez prick asking if I wanted to comment, how are you"  he asked as he took me In his paint covered arms.

"yeah I'm OK,  how  will this affect you. I hate to think I could fuck up your career" I said as I rested my head on his chest. My Donnie was back , his earlier bad mood was forgotten.

"kid,  start thinking about yourself. This will do fuck all to my career, don't worry. How are you" he asked, it was so typical of Donnie to think of me before he thought of himself.

"yes" Donnie snapped as he answered his ringing phone.

A sudden scowl covered his beautiful face, he looked dangerously mad.  I found myself stepping away from him.

"right well you know what to do. Call me when it's Done" Donnie snapped before releasing the call.

He didn't look happy I was almost scared to ask him what was going on, luckily he told me before I had to.

"So, Will mentioned Mae and Gina have just put a down payment on a little apartment which I found a little suspicious. I had my friend Mohammed's private eye do a little digging and it seems they were paid a generous amount from a tabloid friend to provide the details of your career at the blue room. They also provided a photo but that's not being printed till tomorrow"

I couldn't believe Gina would do that to me after how much I helped her when she was struggling. I felt betrayed,  violated even. It took all my strength not to fall to the floor, I didn't care that the world knew what I had done for a living. I was hurt that someone I classed as my sister had betrayed me.

"that prick isnt getting the exclusive, I'll post everything myself" it was the best idea I had ever had. I could post to my social media my story including the photos I did have then people could hear the truth from me and not from some sleezy wannabe journalist.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but I think your right, it's better that you get the truth out rather than any lies the tabloids will print." Donnie replied.

I sat on our bed and looked through the photos on my laptop. There were pictures from when I was 15 to when I was actually legal when I was 18. I wasn't going to mention me working at Tammy's as she would have been in serious trouble for hiring an underage dancer.

I smiled when I saw the photos from my first night at the club, I had really enjoyed working for pat. I had missed it when I left,  I loved the power I felt when I stood on that stage. More than anything I loved to dance it had truly been my calling.

I sat and thought about what I would write, these words could possibly be read by millions of people. I wanted what I had to say to matter, I knew people were living in poverty like I was and they thought there was no way out. I had been through so much in my life and if my experiences could help one person then it was worth me baring my soul.

I kept checking my phone to see if any of the club's customers had commented about me. I had given many men lap dances so I had expected at least a few of them to come forwards with their stories. I called pat to ask if he had heard anything but he informed me that all of his members had signed a non disclosure agreement, so they couldn't comment on the club's going ons.

I was so grateful for pats forward thinking, he had saved me from embarrassment.

I should have known that my past would not stay hidden forever. I didn't regret my past it made me who I was. I was proud that I looked after my self I never had one cent from the state. I worked for everything I had.

The press could say that they wanted about me, I knew the truth!