34 Gimme shelter

The house was alive with excitement,  every room was full of bodies. There were caterers in the kitchen preparing the wedding meal. The wedding planner was draping flowers all over the arch we would be marrying under. The chairs were white and delicate, they were placed at either side of a red carpet aisle. The large white tent was set up at the other side of the large garden, hundreds of coral and ivory balloons were filled and left to float to the tents ceiling. Fresh pink roses were bunched in big vases on the dining tables. It was amazing what 20 pairs of hands could do in just a few hours. It had taken weeks of constant hard work to get it to where it was now.

The garden was truly transformed, June cried when she saw it. Donnie surprised us by hiring a make up artist and a hair stylist to get us ready for the wedding. I was just steeping into my ivory crystal encrusted mermaid gown when I heard the guests start to arrive. I could hear Donnies security team checking people off the list. I was surprised how many of our friends had made the long journey to be here with us.  I could feel the tears pooling in my eyes, it felt humbling that so many people cared for us.

"you look wonderful" June said as I walked down the stairs.

June looked so healthy, the make up artist had applied darker make up to her so she didn't look as frail. Her hair was curled and pinned to her head.

"you hair really suits you" I told her. I hated myself for thinking it but I wasn't sure she would make it to our wedding. Things had been so bad There were nights I thought she was going to die, some nights I would sit by her bed just listening to her breathing. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her yet. I knew Donnie would break apart when his mother did leave us.

"I want it like this at my funeral" she said calmly taking me by surprise. She had said it so casually.  June had given up she had told me she was ready to go it was only the wedding that was keeping her fighting. June had said more than once that she wanted photos of her where she looked like herself she didn't want Donnie looking back and seeing her the way she was now. The make up artist had defiantly succeeded in her mission, June really did look fantastic.

I snook a look into the garden and saw that all the seats were full,  nearly everyone we had invited had attended. I told the man in charge of the music that I was ready. I had asked that June walk down the aisle with me, she had been honoured.

The wedding March started so June and I slowly walked down the aisle, I was suddenly nervous. I looked ahead at Donnie and saw his beautiful face staring back at me. Donnie was wiping tears from his eyes, that made my own tears gush down my face.

When I reached the end of the aisle I kissed June's cheek and helped her to her seat. Donnie took my hand in his,  I faced him and realised that soon I would be Mrs Johnson. It wouldn't be legal until we were to city hall in two days but it would be real in our hearts.

----------------------------------------------
"you may now kiss the bride" will said.

I was latched on to Donnies lips before will had finished speaking, the crowd erupted into cheers. Everything around us was a blur all I could see was Donnie.

"I love you Mrs Johnson" Donnie whispered. I melted at his words , I was a little hesitant to change my name but Donnie had said how much it meant to him.

The atmosphere in the tent was amazing,  everyone had enjoyed the meal and were now dancing. I swayed in Donnies big arms, I found myself constantly looking at June to make sure she was happy. June was smiling, everytime I looked at her I found myself beaming.

"you are amazing, I can't believe you did this for my mom" Donnie whispered, he was still a little shocked that he thought i would have second thoughts. Family was the most important thing in the world.