Chapter 31 - Unofficially Meeting The Parents

Start from the beginning

He then adjusted the necklace that was sitting on my chest. I breathed in sharply and his eyes darted towards mine. God, I could never get over his eyes. They held the world, the things that I believed in. They held a softness that I could only begin to feel and a tranquility that I could only imagine was real.

Hunter's mouth curved upwards. "Has anyone told you how pretty your eye colour is?"

I shook my head. "Other than you, I don't think so."

He chuckled, "I'm surprised. They are a very beautiful colour."

I tilted my head a bit. "I always wanted brown or black eyes." Some people may have thought that those colours were too common, but to me, they held depth and mystery. They always seemed to catch whatever light they found and it made them become two sparkling orbs in the sunset.

Hunter sighed and turned towards the window. "Everyone wants what they don't have. It's as though nothing is enough to please ourselves." He then turned back over at me and smiled, this time it was forced. "Well, have some breakfast and then we need to get going."

I nodded then turned back to finish up my coffee.

*****

After breakfast, Hunter and I made our way outside where I found a red sports car waiting for us.

"I thought Bill was driving us," I said.

"Meh, I decided that he could have a break today."

I looked over at him, "Then... Who's driving?"

He smiled, "I am."

*****

After about an hour and a half of complete and utter silence, I had come to the conclusion that it was the perfect time for me to talk to him finally about what happened back at the cabin.

I had held it back long enough and it was time to work things out.

"You lied." I finally said.

Hunter frowned, "What?"

"You lied when you said that we were good."

He sputtered out a laugh, "We are. Why wouldn't we be?"

"That's a lie again," I pointed out. "Hunter, I know we're not 'good'."

"Okay, then what are we?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "I feel as though we've been drifting apart lately."

"Oh?" he arched an eyebrow.

"I know, it's completely my fault. I suck." I glanced at him. "We never really sorted out what happened that night back at the cabin and-"

"I'm sorry."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "What?"

"I pushed you way too far that night and that was the main reason why what happened, happened."

"No, you didn't push me that far, I was just overreacting. I just-" I took a breath. "-You know about my past and everything leading up to it and you know that I'm not in a position right now where I can just freely do and go anywhere. I have baggage and quite frankly, it'll probably follow me around for the rest of my life. Hunter, I care about you. I really do and that's why I'm telling you this and I will continue to tell you until I feel as though you finally understand. I'm not on the same level as you are. And before you give me that crap about how it doesn't matter, let me finish. We all know how these stories go; poor, defenseless girl is taken in by some powerful guy. The guy slowly gets the girl to open up and then they slowly fall in love, and live happily ever after. The. Fricking. End."