Chapter 18 - I've Got A Migraine

Hey guys! Yes! I am finally back with a new chapter! First off, I'd like to apologize for the delay (You're going to hear that often from now on since school has started :)) Secondly, I'd like to thank you guys again for all the support I've been getting on this story even though I've been really inactive <3 We're almost at 4K reads and the only people I can thank is you guys for making this possible >.< Anyways, I know you guys are here for the story so imma shut up right about now :)

P.S There may be some spelling errors in the story, which probably won't be edited until the story ends. Don't worry! the story isn't ending anytime soon :)

Song - Twenty One Pilots, Migraine

~Jessica

"Never let your fear of the unknown and things being too difficult make your choices for you in life. One of the saddest lessons in life is finding out that your fear made the situation worse than what it was and a braver person stole the dream you gave up on."

― Shannon L. Alder

*******************

All these emotions just came rushing at me all at once. I could literally feel bricks from the wall I built up inside me slowly falling down piece by piece, and it was the most terrifying feeling ever.

I jumped into the elevator and pressed the button to go back to my office. Thankfully, no one came on and the elevators continued to go up.

What the hell was I even thinking? I guess I was just caught up in the moment but I also felt a connection like no other. But was it really worth it for me to open myself up to someone when there was a chance that I could be hurt again? It's been two years since Adam... But if you really think about it, two years isn't really a long time considering that I was single for about 15 years before that and I was probably the happiest I could be.

The elevators stopped at the 19th floor and Hunter came in.

"What the fu-"

Hunter put his hand out to stop me as he stood silently beside me. When we finally got to his office, he locked the door then motioned for me to sit down beside him on the couch.

As we took a seat, Hunter spoke.

"Look Payton, I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine, it's my fault-"

"No, just... Let me finish speaking." Hunter inched closer to me and looked into my eyes. "I understand why you ran away, I understand if you feel uncomfortable with me and I understand-"

I raised my hand up to stop him. "No, you don't really understand." Hunter opened his mouth to say something but I continued. "Unless you've been through what I've been through then you don't understand. You might know what happened, but unless you actually feel it for yourself, then you wouldn't."

Hunter took my hand. "Then tell me how you feel."

I sighed, "sometimes, you don't need to understand everything, because sometimes it's not meant to be understood but to just be accepted. I stopped explaining myself when I realised that people only understand from their level of perception."

"But you can't keep on living in the past Payton," Hunter played with the bracelet on my wrist.

"I'm trying not to," I said. "But Adam-"

"Look," he stopped me. "What I need you to understand is that I'm not like Adam. I won't intentionally hurt you, but what I need is a chance."

"A chance?" I raised an eyebrow.