Chapter 7 - Sleepover!

Hey Guys! So yes, I am finally starting to update more frequently! Summer break is here! I'm out of hell. So, while chapters will; be coming out more quickly, they may also become a bit shorter. (Sorry if you like longer chapters.) Not all chapters will be that short but if they are, it probably means that the next one will have something big happening in it or something. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, It is on the shorter side but nonetheless, a chapter.

But, other than that, enjoy, vote, comment and all that jazz, I'll see you guys at the end of the chapter!

Song-  Aretha Franklin, Respect

~Jessica

You've been quiet for too long; blood is dripping down your chin from you biting your tongue.
- Dru. Anthony

------------------------

My blood ran cold when I finally zoned back in again. My hands couldn't stop shaking and my breathing became laboured.

The knife I had in my hand dropped to the floor.

"Payton, are you alright?" Hunter asked rushing over to my side.

My breathing slowly came back to normal and my hands stabilized once more.

I quickly nodded and picked up the knife again. "Yeah, I'm fine," I said in response as I resumed cutting the vegetables.

Hunter stopped my arm and turned me around to face him. His hazel eyes were filled with uneasiness. "Are you sure?"

"Never been better."

"You didn't answer my question," he said still looking at me.

Yeah! Maybe because I was trying to avoid it!

"Well, it doesn't really matter," I let out a small chuckle. "Adam is still the same abusive boyfriend I knew a few years ago and I don't think anything is going to change him."

Hunter stayed silent for a while before he picked up the vegetables that I already cut up and walked over to the pot where the water was now boiling. He placed the vegetables into the pot and started stirring with a wooden spoon.

Nobody said a word and the kitchen became deadly silent until Hunter spoke again.

"I'm getting you a bodyguard."

I snorted. "As if that would keep Adam away from me, he wouldn't care if there were a hundred bodyguards by my side, he is very goal oriented and won't stop what he is doing until he's either dead or succeeds."

"Well it would make me fell better knowing that someone is protecting you," was Hunter's reply.

"With all due respect, why do you care about what happens to me?" I asked. "I mean, I've only started working for you today and before that, you didn't even know that I existed."

"I don't care about what happens to you," he answered. "I wouldn't even blink an eye if you got shot, but you are my PA and I don't pay just so you can die the next day because of some ex-boyfriend."

I stood there in shock. Did he really just say that to me? I mean, although we were pretty much strangers to each other, I wouldn't say all these cruel things to him or anyone for that matter, not even Adam.

Okay, maybe just Adam and that girl who sat in front of me in first grade who stole my snacks.

You don't mess with my food.

You also don't mess with my emotions.

"Do you have even an ounce of respect in your entire body?" I asked through gritted teeth.