"I'm so sorry." I cried.

she rubbed my back as if we had all the time in the world to hug in a parking lot.

I felt wetness in my hair. and not because my hair was stuck to my wet face but because Miss Lovato was crying too.

"I'm sorry too." she said, letting me go.

she looked me in the eyes, her hands on my shoulders. "Will you please walk back with me, without any problems?" she asked me.

I sighed and nodded.

she gave me a weak smile. "Okay, lets go." she said, walking with me with her hand on my back.

Dallas was close behind us and the police officer said that he would meet us there.

I walked with Miss Lovato and Dallas, not talking at all.

it was a beautiful silence.

we stopped at the door of the police station.

she went to open it and tried to guide me in but I didn't move.

she gave me a worried look.

"I'm scared." I managed out, not even sure how.

"I know. but it'll be okay, even if I have to adopt you myself." she said, smiling a little.

I didn't quite believe her so I looked back at Dallas who smiled at me reassuringly.

it took everything in me, which wasn't a lot, but I finally took the final step into the building, letting the door close behind me.

I held back my tears and watched as Dallas signed us in.

"Miss Lovato?" I said.

she shifted her attention to me. "Call me Demi." she said.

I gave her a weird look, like she had grown two heads. and to me she did, one was named Miss Lovato and the other named Demi.

its a nice name but im so used to calling her Miss Lovato.

"Demi, would you really adopt me?" I asked. I regretted asking her because I was terrified of her answer but she smiled at me.

"Yes, I would. and I will if they cant find a home close by so I can still be your teacher." she rubbed my back.

 "But you have Mackenzie. I would just be a burden on you." I said, looking straight into her eyes, looking for a hint of lie. there was none. she was serious about adopting me.

"Trust me, Mackenzie would loooooooove to have a sister. plus, I'm sure you could help me with her. and you wouldn't be burden at all. in fact, you would help me a lot." she said. I crinkled my eye brows.

how would I help her?

was there something I didn't know?

of course there is, I don't know anything about her really.

she smiled that 'don't worry about it' smile. I looked down at my fingernails, all of a suddenly interesting in them.

I still had my long sleeve shirt on. of course.

I always wore them to cover cuts and scars.

and I never wore shorts.

after a few minutes, Dallas sat beside me.

I was now between them.

I looked back and forth from Dallas to Miss Lo- Demi.

they looked alike... a lot.