1

"I need space Jensen" my wife of seven years says quietly.
"Oh.. ok..."
"I'm sorry it's just.. after losing the twins I- I can't."
"I understand.. it's...its okay." I reach for her hand but she pulls away.
"I'm going to my mothers."
"What about Justice?"
"I was hoping you'd take her." She stands up shakingly. I feel the heat rush to my face and anger builds in me.
"Dan I know you- you lost the twins and it hurts, it hurts me too. But we have a daughter and she needs both her parents.. running away is- is going to hurt her." I grind my teeth trying to keep calm.
"I just need to be alone. I'll fly JJ out if I'm gone longer then a month."
"When are you leaving?"
"My plane flys out in two hours."
"JJs at school! She's going to come home to no mom!?" I shout standing up.
"Stop yelling at me jensen!"
"Fuck you Daneel! Fuck you!" I flip her off. She grabs her bag and rushes out crying. I clench my fists and turn around trying to calm down. I slam my hand into the wall with a yelp.
///
///
///
I walk into the school and see JJ grabbing her pink bag from her cubby. "Mr. Sickles hi!" Her teacher, Katy, smiles.
"Hey." I smile back. "How is she?"
"Good, she's doing very well with her math."
"She gets that from her mom."
"Daddy!" She runs over to me.
"Hey baby!" I pick her up and kiss her forehead. "How was school?"
"Good."
"Well you two better get going." Katy waves is off.
"I heard you're doing good in math?" I smile walking off with my daughter. She shrugs shyly. "Do you wanna go get ice cream? I sorta need to talk to you..."
"Yeah!" She nods. I help her into the SUV and buckle her up.
"Did you hear mishas in town?" I ask JJ.
"Does that mean west is town!?"
"Yeah! Do you wanna have a play date with West and-"
"Tom and shep!!!" She cheers
"Okay" I laugh. I know I should tell JJ why daneel won't be here for the next- however long but I can't..

meet @ Dairy Queen in 20 minutes?

I send a text to Jared and misha in our group chat.

Mish- omw
Jared- be there soon

"Alright let's go!" I clap my hands and turn the key.
"Is mom coming?!" JJ cheers happily.
"No um actually hunny moms... uh.. moms visiting grandma."
"Why?"
"She's having a tough time."
"Why?"
"I don't know darling."
"When is she coming back?"
"She said she'd call."
"Ok.." JJ whispers and looks out the window.
"Wanna listen to some music?" I ask trying to cheer her up.
"No."
"What flavor of ice cream do you want?" She doesn't answer. "Chocolate?" Nothing. "Mint?" I try again. I pull into the parking lot and see mishas car. "Look who it is!!" I sing trying to get JJ a little more happy. Misha runs over and taps on the hood of my car.
"Hey good looking!" He grins as I roll the window down. "Where's daneel?" And here's the water works in the back seat. JJ starts balling. "Oh.. did I-"
"It's fine." I jump out and open her door. "Hey Justice you're okay." I give her a hug. "I know, I know." I whisper.
"I want mommy!" She cries.
"Shh shh." I pat her back.
"Hey JJ." Misha reaches out for her. I pass Justice into mishas arm. "It's okay." He says.
"But mommys gone!" She sniffles.
"She'll be back." He says. "How about we go in there and I buy you whatever you want?" He raises his eyebrows. "You could have 10 different flavors!"
"Ten!" I gasp trying to make her cheer up.
"I'll even throw sprinkles in it." Misha sets her down and wipes her eyes. "Would you like that?" I forgot how good misha is with kids.