31 - Stranger Things

Start from the beginning

    The young woman had purchased $24.45 worth. The voucher had allowed her, with three coupons, to purchase everything she’d come for tonight. Everything was double bagged as the woman had to walk, and Fay went through the motions, filling out the sheet and sliding it through the check machine. The young woman left, but not before saying, “God bless you, Farrah,” in the warmest, most thankful way. Fay wasn’t the most religious person out there, wasn’t sure what to believe, really, but those words warmed her heart and made her smile the rest of the night.

    ~~~

    “IronHide, what you did was reckless,” Optimus told him, still unhappy over the appearance earlier, though well-disguised, it could have ended differently.

    “Oh, please, Optimus. I know what I’m doing. Fay didn’t suspect a thing. Reckless would be showing her my cannons while she was in the store. Or kidnapping her and telling her the truth because you’re too chicken to,” he huffed, crossing his arms at his commander. “Besides. I concealed myself quite well. My face was unrecognizable, even added a beard. She couldn’t see my eyes or my hair-.”

    “It still could’ve blown our cover,” Optimus insisted. IronHide rolled his optics.

    “How? I even disguised my voice to something completely out of character,” the weapons specialist argued. Chromia snickered a fair distance away.

    “I’m wish I could’ve heard it, Mr. I’m-So-Big-And-Tough,” she taunted, and IronHide shot her a look, but it quickly devolved into a smile. He could never be upset with his bonded for long. Not when she was smiling at him like that. Affection surged in his spark for her, and she returned it eagerly as he walked over.

    “I envy you . . .” He told her, the rest of his words silent through their bond.

    “I know,” she replied, relaxing into him.

    “Hey now!” Jazz interrupted, crossing his arms. “Get a ship, you two! We’ve got work to do, in case you haven’t noticed.”

    The pair was all business again. That made them wonderful together. They understood when to get to work, and when they could take a moment to relax with each other. They’d been deprived of relaxation for some time, but they accepted it with grace. They had other things to do. Like scrap some ‘Cons, which neither of them had an issue with.

    Unfortunately, what the Autobots didn’t realize was that the Decepticons had an advantage they didn’t know of yet.

    ~~~

    “Go frag yourselves,” she growled, staring up at them, squirming in Barricade’s grip. It was the scene of the accident again, a dream. She had no reason to be afraid of them. They existed only in her subconscious mind, a creation of her grief-stricken brain. It was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Surely something as insane as these creatures couldn’t actually exist. It just didn’t happen.

    “Such an attitude,” StarScream mumbled, watching her with predatory optics. “I’m sure Lord Megatron will be able to snap that out of her.” Barricade growled, eyeing StarScream suspiciously.

    “You know better. She’ll comply when the time comes,” Barricade glared at the Seeker, always distrustful of the Decepticon Lieutenant’s motives. He’d take any chance he had to sabotage their leader.

    “Drop her,” came a new a voice. Fay didn’t recognize it, and she whipped her head around. On the road stood a man, grey eyes and dark brown hair.

    “Hmph. Move on, Dweeb. I can handle this just fine.”

    He smiled at her, eyes lighting up in the gesture. Her heart skipped a beat against her will. Barricade growled, glancing at StarScream before letting Fay drop to the ground, the pair stalking off a good distance before transforming and vanishing in the distance. Fay yelped as she fell but the new man caught her flawlessly. He grinned at where she was held in his arms. “Dweeb, huh? I’d say more along the lines of ‘Hero’.”