Chapter Six

WEWT :D new chappy.

Enjoy <3

___

There’s something about her—something I can’t put my finger on, but that makes me want her. Maybe it’s that she knew Sadie. Or maybe it’s that Melody’s the only girl I’ve been attracted to since her death.

            She’s very naïve. I’ve realized this over the time I’ve known her. She is like a kitten that’s been separated from her mother and tossed into the world suddenly; she walks with care and precision and she’s curious about almost everything. Melody’s also really mysterious. Maybe that’s why I find her so attractive. She fascinates me and the thrill I get whenever I touch her is captivating.

            “Hunter?” Melody hisses from the darkness of the study room. “Are you home?”

            “Yes, I just got back.” I say, flipping on the light to her room. I enter. Melody lies on the couch, her raven hair a flowing stream of twists and tangles cascading down the back of the arm rest her head is on. I exhale as I take in her beauty—her milky smooth skin and even the rosy blush that arises on her cheeks when she smiles at me.

            I take a seat on the chair next to the large, full bookshelf. “What’d you do all day?”

            “I waited.” She says simply.

            I squint. “For what?”

            “You. I have to tell you something.” She says. Melody sits up, straightens out her minty green dress, and looks at me. I feel my forehead crease; my eyes still narrowed at her. I wait for her to continue. Her lips open as if she’s about to talk but just as quick as they opened, they close. I exhale a wobbly breath I’d been holding. Melody looks away from me, and smiles gently at her exposed knees.

            “How long can I stay here?” she asks plainly. I hesitate, unsure of the answer I should give her. On one hand, I should listen to my brain—but, as always, my heart is quicker to speak.

            “As long as you need.” It’s the unspoken words that make me giddy but at the same time confused: and as long as I need.

My head is feeble in comparison to my heart—and therefore I always talk before I know what I’m going to say. But the question is why my heart feels like this. Just like normal, I’m at a loss of explanation for my choices.

All I know is, the moment Melody reaches out and brushes my forearm, the tingles are back, and I melt into her touch.

“Thank you.” She says sweetly, innocently.

“No problem.” I manage to choke out the words, even though they’re lies. Melody looks at me with wide eyes, her smile wavering.

“There’s something more…” she says, voice almost inaudible. I gaze at her, waiting in silence. The only sound that I can hear is my rough breathing until she shifts on the couch.

I shut my eyes and focus on her breathing now. It’s low and shallow but at the same time calming.

“It’s about Sadie.” She says shyly. My eyes fly open and I stare at the floor, unable to look at Melody. I’m embarrassed by what I did last night. I acted so shamelessly and now I regret it.

Poor Melody must be extremely confused—maybe as much as me.

“I feel like you need to know more about her and my relationship. We weren’t really friends. She sort of just helped me out. Sadie saved—“

Abruptly, the door swings open, hitting hard on the wall. Jeanette enters the room and before I have time to react she yells, “Hunter!” looking terrified.

“What?” I ask, my eyes wildly searching the room for Melody who is out of sight. I wonder where she could be.

“It’s your mother.” She says breathlessly as she grabs me by the arm and yanks me into my room.

“What happened?” my heart begins to race.

“Doctor Blair and your father just left and Mara is bleeding…” she sucks in a shallow breath, “I think maybe she’s losing the baby.”

I gasp, feeling my stomach drop.

_

OMJ ! Vote, comment, fan.

I will upload soon as possible :D

The Heart of Life Doesn't Beatजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें