Chapter Twenty-Two.

Start from the beginning

However, when I opened the door, I was surprised to see a couple stood there, rather than Zacky. They looked to be in maybe their early fifties, the man with salt and pepper hair and the woman with blonde hair that was greying ever so slightly. They looked even more surprised than I probably did, to see me stood there, which instantly added to my confusion as to who they were.

“Hello?” I greeted them in a questioning tone.

As soon as the word had left my mouth, they glanced at each other, still looking completely confused.

“He must’ve moved.” The woman said to the man, completely ignoring my greeting. The man nodded slightly back at her.

“Um...hello?” I repeated, finally gaining their attention. “Who are you looking for exactly?”

“Our son.” The man replied. “Jason. He used to live here...but he must have moved house.”

My eyes widened at that. I’d been so wrapped up in my new life that I’d not even given the idea of having grandparents any thought. Now that the man had mentioned it, he did look like an older version of my dad. What I found odd, though, is that Jason hadn’t mentioned his parents. Not once. I’d not seen any pictures, not heard a word about them. And now they were just randomly stood on the doorstep.

Anyone would think that after getting your daughter back after so many years, you’d tell your parents that their granddaughter was now living with you.

I knew something definitely wasn’t right.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked back at the couple to see them both staring at me, waiting for me to say something.

“Oh, no, he still lives here.” I finally said.“He’s just out at his friend’s at the moment.”

“And who are you exactly?” The woman questioned, her tone not particularly friendly.

“S-sorry...you must think I’m so rude.” I stammered slightly. “Uh...I’m Jasmine...Jason’s daughter.”

The couple immediately froze as if someone had stopped time. They glanced at each other again, looking like they both wanted to say something, but even I knew that they wouldn’t speak whatever was on their minds while I was here.

“I...I guess that makes you my...” I spoke again, cutting off my words my when they didn’t even look at me. “I...didn’t you know?”

“No we did not!” The woman exclaimed back furiously.

“Rose, calm down.” The man then said. “How were we to know? We haven’t even—‘’

“Come on, Phil, we’re leaving.” Rose snapped.

The man—Phil—glanced at me, but she tugged on his arm and practically dragged him back to their car. I stood on the doorstep, watching the whole thing in complete bewilderment without even a clue as to what to do. I knew I was right in my suspicion that something was wrong. Especially by how angry Rose had seemed.

They drove away at a quick speed, the car soon disappearing completely out of sight. I stayed on the doorstep, staring at the spot that the vehicle had been parked in, still not knowing what to think or do.

Was I supposed to call my dad? What would I even say to him?

But just as I thought that, I realised how angry I had become. They’d not had a clue that I was here, which was obviously down to Jason. And it must’ve been deliberate. A situation like this wasn’t something you just generally forgot about.

I needed answers.

Instantly, I began to pull my shoes on. I quickly dashed into the living room and grabbed my phone, and as I went back into the hall to leave the house, I very nearly bumped into Zacky. I’d completely forgotten he was coming round.

“Uh...knock, knock.” He said with a smile, then jabbing his thumb over his shoulder. “The door was open.”

I was too wrapped in my thoughts to even think about what he was saying. I couldn’t even send him a smile because my mind was too occupied. I was just stood there, blinking like an idiot.

“Uh...” I murmured. “Y-yeah, um...”

“So...” He raised his eyebrows. “Where did I leave my jacket?”

That jogged my memory and helped me to remember what he was here for, though I was still completely wrapped in the other situation.

“Oh, um, it’s...” I stammered. “I think it’s—‘’

“Midge, are you okay?” He interrupted, a frown shadowing his face. “You seem kind of...out of it.”

Again, I just blinked at him, not really knowing what to say. His frown deepened when I just silently stood there, but eventually, I found my words.

“Not really, actually...” I told him. “I...I need to go speak to my dad. Can you...”

I didn’t even finish my sentence before I pushed past him and ran out the door, practically power walking down the road.

And all the way to Johnny’s.

I was going to get my answers.