Something's Gotta Give [A Niall Horan Love Story.] 6

I could say my relationship with Niall was good. I could also say my relationship with Niall was bad. But if I said our relationship was normal, I'd be lying to you. Don't get me wrong, Niall was an amazing boyfriend. In the time span of our relationship so far, he had treated me better than any boy had in any one of my past relationships. But us having a normal teenage relationship would be like saying Noah and Daniel weren't my brothers.

It was out of the ordinary for a few reasons: We had to hide from cameras as much as possible. Niall and I both agreed we wanted to avoid announcing our relationship for as long as possible. Niall wanted to protect me from fans ever since I told him why I didn't kiss him. Another reason was because the boys were trying to promote their music and for right now, they didn't need any rumors about Niall and I. And there were much more reasons.

We still had a nice relationship. Niall made me happy. Whenever he was around me, I found myself smiling and getting butterflies, but I had been doing that since I met him. He was the perfect boyfriend. He was sweet and polite. He was still his usual funny self and he still did all of the same things. The only thing different now was that I was his. 

My parents were out of town for the weekend. Noah had gone out with his team and then they were going to watch Daniel play at his football game. Bella had violin lessons and then she was going to spend the night at her friend's house. So with the house all to myself, I asked Niall to come over. I bribed him with dinner in which he immediately accepted. 

The sizzling of the pans and the boiling of bubbles in the pot played the beat to my song as I hummed a tune, stirring some pasta. I could smell the cookies in the oven baking and turned around. As I did, I ran into two strong arms, pulling me into their chest. I giggled after a pair of lips placed a loving kiss on me.

"Hello love," Niall greeted. I smiled, leaning up and placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Hello. I didn't know you came in," I commented.

"I was going to sneak up on you but then you turned around! Smells good in here," He said, pulling out the stool to the counter and plopping into it. He looked at me and I smiled, waving the spatula in my hand in the air.

"Well I'm making us dinner, like I said I would. Would you mind setting the table?" I questioned. I turned to him as he stood up and I smiled, turning back to the pots and pans in front of me as Niall shuffled around the kitchen, occasionally asking me where some things were. I would point them out and he would obtain them. When the food was done, I put it on two plates, walking over to the table and putting them down.

"Enjoy," I said as he looked up at me. He smiled and waited until I sat down. It was quiet for the first minute as both cut the chicken parmesan. As Niall put it in his mouth, he smiled, nodding happily.

"And you can cook!" He cheered. I laughed and our conversation started there. We talked about a bunch of things. Things like One Direction's music, interviews that were coming up, places we should go on dates, how Zayn and Emelia were nearing a relationship, and how Louis had been caught staring at Oliver a few times. The two hadn't really talked that much, seeing as though Oliver and Niall had this ongoing competition of games.

"I say you tell him to ask her on a date!" I announced.

"They don't even know each other!"

"That's why they should go on a date, Niall.. He keeps staring at her. He must think she's pretty! And Olly's real nice. She would treat him good. Please tell him too?" I pleaded, "For me?" I jutted my bottom lip out to make a pout as I clasped my hands together. He eyed me, his eyes softening as he finally broke.

"Ah fine. I'll do it tonight," He said. I giggled, clapping my hands together excitedly as he chuckled.

"What do you want to do now?" I questioned after I put the dishes in the dishwasher. I turned to him, leaning against the counter.

"Can I have a tour of your house?" He asked cutely. I giggled and nodded, pushing off of the counter. Our fingers laced together as I led him through the house. I showed him the living room, in which he complained he already knew. So I led him to the basement, up the stairs and around the bedrooms, showing him mine, Daniel's, Noah's, Bella's, and my parents. He led me to the game room to show off his memory skills.

"What's that room?" Niall asked, pointing to a door. I turned to follow his point and my eyes landed on the white door that led to a room. A room I spent a lot of my time in. As he headed towards it, I sprinted ahead of him, slamming my back against it.

"You can't go in there!" I cried out. He cocked an eyebrow at me, standing in front of me. 

"Why's that?"

"I... uh... uhm..." I stuttered. All of my thoughts escaped me. I had no logical answer as to why he couldn't go in there.

Niall's arms wrapped around my waist, lifting me up and moving to the side as he turned the knob, pushing open the door. He stepped in and I walked in behind him. The room was bright white with no light whatsoever. The only light in the room came from the windows. The sun was sunsetting so the light that bounced off of the walls reflected a pretty, orangery pink tint. In the middle of the room was a grand white piano with music sheets strewn all over the top and on the ground. A few violins and guitars were lined up against one wall and on another wall there were multiple plaques and trophies and ribbons. 

"Louis said you wrote music," Niall said as he walked towards the piano, fingers touching the shiny white keys. I watched him as he eyed the piano and the sheets, not really picking one up. I walked further in and he turned to me, "Is this your music?"

"Yeah," I nodded, glancing at the music sheets, "And they aren't for reading," I warned.

"I beg to differ," He responded and lifted a sheet up. As I went to reach for it, he backed up, holding the paper up as he read the lyrics on it, "I'm broken. Do you hear me? I'm blinded." He stopped, looking up at me.

"Niall, stop. That's so embarrassing," I said as my cheeks flushed red. I snatched the paper from his hands, turning away. 

"Sophie," He sighed. His hands fell to both sides of my head, caressing my cheeks as he turned my head to look into his eyes. He looked into my eyes, searching deep down into them. All I saw when I looked into his eyes was awe and love. That's what I loved about looking into his eyes, seeing his emotions, "Don't be embarrassed. That was really good lyrics. Don't be ashamed of what talent you have."

"You haven't even heard me play."

"So play me something."

I stared at Niall, eyes searching him, "You're kidding.." 

"No. Play me something," He beckoned to the piano, letting me go. I eyed him for a moment longer before turning away from him, sitting down on the piano bench. He sat down beside me as I rested my fingers on the keys. I turned to him, making sure this was honestly what he wanted me to do and he nodded. 

I could feel Niall's eyes on me as my fingers danced across the keys. I wasn't going to lower my playing just because Niall was beside me. Music was the only thing I was good at. It was something I could say I knew how to do. My mom used to joke and say I danced out of her, singing a song and moving my fingers like I was playing a piano. Music was my one strength. Music was my life.

"Why'd you stop?" Niall asked as I stopped playing. I turned to him to see he was already looking at me. His eyes looked denied and sad, "You're amazing. Keep playing."

I smiled as my fingers began to dance across the keys again. I could feel my insides start to turn, as they always did when I played. I could feel my body starting to give into the piano as the music took over me. I could feel the tune getting stronger and as the song came to an end, my fingers pressed the keys lighter and I stopped with one last note.

"Encore! Encore!" Niall cheered as he clapped loudly. I turned to him with a smile and he looked at me with what seemed to be a proud smile, "You're amazing, Soph. I can't believe I haven't heard you play sooner. You look so into the music. That was just.. breathtaking."

"Thanks," I said sheepishly. He wrapped an arm around me, kissing the top of my head.

"Can you sing?"

"Niall, playing for you was enough.."

"Sing!" A voice hollered. My head snapped to the door to see Emelia and the others standing there, "Sing us a song, Soph. Please?" Emelia asked.

"Oh no."

"Come on, Sophie. Let it be the first time you sing to a crowd. Since you're trying out for X Factor and everything," Oliver added in with a bright smile. 

"Please Sophie?"

"Come on Soph!"

"Sophie! Pleaseee?"

"Pretty please?"

"Ohmygosh, fine!" I finally interjected. They all stopped their begging and smiled, walking over and crowding around the piano. Some of them sat on the floor, some leaned against the piano but Niall never left my side. I looked up at Emelia and she smiled soothingly at me. She leaned over, squeezing my shoulder reassuringly. I took in a deep breath, my nerves wracking my body.

Yes. Music was my life. But in no way, shape, or form had I ever sang in front of people. The only people who had ever seen me sing was Emelia, my family, Louis, Johanna. All were great attempts at me thinking I could actually be famous someday. I wasn't ready to sing in front of these people, let alone the boys who were a band.. famous for their talent.

"You got this, Soph," Emelia whispered gently. I felt her eyes on me, watching me. I knew I wasn't supposed to hear it. She knew I could do it. She knew I would have the guts to use my voice with these people. She always challenged me, telling me I had a gorgeous voice and I should show it, but it wasn't me. It wasn't what I was going to do. 

I pressed my fingers down on a key and found the others following, thinking of the first song that came to mind. The beat slipped through my fingers effortlessly as my fingers swept across the keys, pressing done at the right tone. I could feel eyes on me and the butterflies in my stomach nearly made me vomit instead of sing when I opened my mouth to begin but I choked them back, sucking in a breath.

"I heard that you're settled down, that you found a girl and you're married now," I sang. It made me nervous, knowing I was letting everyone hear this song, knowing I was letting them hear my voice, "I heard that your dreams came true," I continued. I heard no groans of discontent. I heard no complains of how bad I was so I continued, keeping my eyes on the keys to avoid their looks.

As the song continued, my fingers on the keys, my voice on play, I realized what I was doing. I was singing and I was doing good. I was singing in front of people and it was okay, "Never mind I'll find someone like you. I wish nothing but the best for you, too. Don't forget me, I begged. I remember you said sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead."

I finished the song, hitting the last note gently. As I finished and looked up, they all applauded me loudly, wolf-whistling and cheering. A smile found its way onto my lips as I laughed, my nerves fading away as the relief that I was done set over me. I had done it. I had done good. I had sang in front of people.

"That was brilliant, Sophie!" Harry commented, clapping his hands with a huge smile on his lips.

"You're fantastic!" Liam gaped.

"You're trying out for the X Factor," Zayn ordered with a smile.

"Great job, Soph. I knew you could do it," Emelia smiled. I smiled back at her smally. I felt a hand grab mine and turned, seeing my fingers laced with Niall's and being greeted with a smile as I looked up at him.

"Beautiful, just like you," He whispered and kissed me.

It was really a memorable evening. That night, as I was laying in bed, I stared up at my ceiling, wondering what it would be like to be famous. Ever since I was a little girl, I always dreamed of being a superstar someday. My parents used to record me and they admitted to me that when I was a little girl, they used to say they knew I was going to grow up and be something special. So with each year, my dreams became bigger and bigger and now, all I wanted was to be known. I wanted to have albums and concerts. I wanted people to know my name.

"Sophie?" A voice asked. I turned my head to the door. I had decided to go downstairs to the kitchen during my insomniac night. My mother was standing at the doorway. She started walking to the fridge, getting herself a glass of water.

"Can't sleep," I admitted. She headed over to stand across from where I was sitting at the counter. I was eating chocolate chip cookies and my mom grabbed one as I offered her one, "Hey mom?"

"Yes darling?" She hummed.

"Do you think I could be famous someday?" I questioned honestly.

"I think you could do whatever you put your mind to, sweetie. If you want to be famous, then you can be famous," She said.

"But how?"

"Just go for it. Once you put your mind to something, you can do whatever you want. You are capable of doing anything, darling. No matter what you choose in life, stick with it. The outcome can be greater than the dream itself," She spoke philosophically as she leaned on the counter, looking at me, "You want to get out of this town, sweetheart?"

I laughed at her playful behavior, "No. I want to be known. I want to write music for a living. I love music. I love the way it just takes over me. I want to be famous."

"Well then go for it. Your father and I will be standing right behind you the entire time. If you want it bad, you go get it. Make people know who you are."

"Can I?"

"Of course. Look at Louis and the boys. They auditioned for the X Factor. Look at how far they've gotten. Don't you want that?"

"Well yeah.."

"So let's do it! I want you to audition for the X Factor, Sophie Victoria. I want to see my daughter on a television screen."

"You're joking."

"Do I look like I'm kidding? Tomorrow, I'll look up all the information for it. I'll have Johannah come over and help me. I'm right here the entire time for you, baby. Never forget that," She said. She walked around the counter, looking into my eyes. She smiled at me, "I'm going to bed. Get some sleep, love." With that, she placed a kiss on my forehead, leaving me in my thoughts.

I knew what she said was right. Everything she said I would do. I was going to go after my dream. If other people can do it, so could I. I wanted what the boys have. I wanted people to know my name and they would. It was my time. It was finally going to be my time to show everyone what I was made of.

I was going to be famous.