Something's Gotta Give [A Niall Horan Love Story.] 5

"So how are you?" Dylan asked as we sat at my kitchen table. We sat directly across from each other so it was easy for me to stare right into his dark chocolate brown eyes. He was still as cute as the last time I had seen him. His dark hair caught in his eyebrows and he would flip it out of his hair. His adorable smile still managing to make my heart flutter a bit. 

"Good and you?" I responded with a breath. Oliver and Emelia had gone up to my room to give Dylan and I some time alone to talk. There was nothing wrong with my previous relationship with Dylan. Don't get me wrong, we broke up for a reason, but Dylan had been the best boyfriend I could have ever asked for.

"Uh, good, I suppose," He nodded. We just had our misunderstandings. We were a very loved couple. Everyone thought we were going to get married someday. We were that couple. The couple everyone wanted to be, everyone wanted to see. Everyone wanted a boyfriend like Dylan. Everyone wanted a girlfriend like me. 

"So you're home?" I asked gently, hoping it wasn't rude to ask. I played my fingers on top of the table, glancing at them as I twiddled my thumbs, spinning them in circles around each other. I could feel Dylan's eyes on me but fought the urge to look up, knowing I would find it hard to look at him the same way.

"Yep. I just got home yesterday. I would've come sooner, but I decided to wait and spend some time with my family," He explained. Dylan. Always a family man. He had two little sisters, two older brothers, and an older sister. He loved his parents more than anything in the world. It reminded me of when we used to talk about maybe one day getting married and having kids. What a great father he would make.

"Welcome home," I said with a small smile. It was forced and I think we both knew it was and why it was so forced.

"Look, Sophie, I'm sorry.. about what happened between us. I didn't want to leave and I shouldn't have and I'm sorry it had to end like it did," Here comes the apology. The apology I waited three months for, "You know I loved you more than anything. I understand if you don't feel the same way anymore, but I just.. I wanted you to know that I really am sorry."

"What happened, happened," I agreed with a shrug of my shoulders, "I waited three months for you to come back, Dylan and you come back right as I finally started to get over you. You really are something."

"I'm sorry," He said with a light chuckle, trying to hide the smile and laughter by putting his hand over his mouth. I shook my head with a small smile.

"I love you, Dylan, and frankly, I probably always will, but I met someone else and I think he's going to be around for a while. He makes me happy. He's the first one to make me feel like this since you," I admitted. 

"I understand. I guess you caught on I was coming to get you back. At least I tried," He said with a weak smile. He rested his hands on his knees and pushed himself out of the chair, pushing it in after he stepped away.

"Dylan! Wait! I really do still love you. What we had was something special and I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so," I said. He looked at me, "And I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Soph. You deserve someone much better than me. Just know that I'll always be here," He said and walked over to me. He placed his hands on my waist, looking down at me. I gazed up at him, wondering if he was going to kiss me. He leaned in, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. He let his lips linger and slowly moved away, "If you ever need somebody, you know where I am. I love you, Sophie. Don't forget that."

He dropped his arms from my waist and walked out. I heard the front door open and close. I plopped back down into my seat, feeling my heart beat in my own eardrums. There were footsteps and I didn't pick my head up as Emelia and Oliver sat down at the table. They were silent, watching me as I sat there.