Chapter 32:

Ch. 32

“So, who was that that dropped you off? Is he your boyfriend?” Dad asked me after a long day of me asking him questions. I guess he deserved a few questions also.

This time I finally smiled, letting out a true and real smile. One that always came when David’s name came up. “Yeah.” I nodded. “He’s my boyfriend.”

“What’s his name?” Dad smiled back at me. This was weird. I knew things weren’t going to be anything close to normal, but it wouldn’t hurt to open up a little bit to him I guess. He was my dad after all. I got my answers that I wanted. If I wanted to have my dad in my life I needed to start letting him in a little bit at a time. Besides, isn’t it what I’ve sort of been secretly wanting for a while now?

I glanced over at my dad. “His name is David.”

“You seem to really like this boy. I can see it in your eyes that he’s someone really special to you.” Dad concluded.

I shrugged, “I guess you could say that. I mean, he’s been there for me through everything lately, and he’s really sweet and charming. Not like I thought he was before, but turns out he’s this complete other person than I thought. I feel like I can tell him anything and everything.”

Dad nodded, “That’s good. I’m glad to see he’s treating you well. You deserve to have a guy like that in your life. Although, I can’t exactly say that I like you staying at his house overnight.”

I glared at dad. “It’s not like you really have any say in that. Mom doesn’t care, and that’s all that matters.”

Dad didn’t look too happy. “Wow. I’m surprised your mom allows that. She doesn’t seem like the type of person to allow you to follow in her footsteps.”

“What are you talking about?” There was something he left out earlier when he was explaining things to me.

“She didn’t tell you?” He asked. “Wow, well I don’t know if I should be the one to tell you, but…”

I moved to the edge of the swing and gave him a no nonsense look. “Tell me what? What do you mean following in her footsteps?”

“Your mom and I were inseparable when we were in high school. Around your age. We would both always sneak out in the middle of the night and meet up and…well….one thing led to another and before you knew it we were thinking of baby names.”

“Wait….what!?” Surely he wasn’t saying what I think he was saying.

Dad nodded, “Your mom had you her senior year. She dropped out of school when she found out she was pregnant with you. We went off and got married and started out in the real world earlier than planned.”

“So….I wasn’t even supposed to happen?” It just slipped out.

“That’s not what I meant.” Dad tried to back out of what he said. “I just meant you came earlier than planned. Yes, it was hard, but I wouldn’t have changed anything about what happened, and I know your mom wouldn’t have either. You were her world. Correction, are her world. I just don’t want you to make the same…choices that we did because it was hard. It was worth it, but it was hard.”

I slid back in the swing thinking all of that over. I had no idea about any of that. Not that I’ve really ever asked, but I’ve also never put two and two together with her age and mine. “Well, I’m not going to make the same mistakes you two did.”

“I never said mistake…”

Before he could go on, I interrupted it. “No, but it was implied.”