Chapter 38:

Ch. 38

David pulled me inside and shut the door. “My lord, what happened?” I could hear the concern in his voice.

“David, honey, who was at the door?” Linda said from the living room.

I sniffed and looked up at him. He looked me straight in the eyes and I saw anger flash through his look. He knew why I was here without even having to tell him. It was pretty obvious, I guess, unless you were anyone else who didn’t know the inside scoop. I looked down and fixed my jeans, then looked back up at him. “It’s Peyton, mom. We’re going to go upstairs and talk.” His eyes never left mine. He reached up with both hands and wiped my tear streaked face. He gave me a small half smile, but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Peyton’s back?” She asked, sounding hopelessly confused.

He sighed and closed his eyes briefly. “Yeah, mom. She…” He looked at me and I just stared at him, waiting to see what his reply would be. He sighed. “Her mom wasn’t home and she didn’t feel like being alone. Is it okay?”

“Of course.” I could hear the smile in her voice. She was always smiling anyway. It was rare to not see one on her face. “Hey, again, Peyton.”

“Hi.” My voice croaked. I was surprised anything even came out at all.

David let his hands trail down to reach my hands, but I noticed his eyes tighten at the sight of the marks on my arms. I had on a tank top at the moment, so the marks were as clear as day. He shook his head and led me upstairs to him bedroom. Just as we both walked in and he shut the door behind him, he turned to me. “What the hell happened?” His voice was a little too loud and angry.

I sat down on his bed, leaning on the headboard, and grabbed one of his pillows, placing it on my lap. It seemed to relax me just a little bit. “Tim was pissed when I got home and I kind of went off on him, and…well…then a lot of things happened.”

“I can see that.” David said and sat down on the edge of the bed, facing me. “What kind of things happened?” He looked me over, making sure he didn’t miss anything in his assessment from earlier.

I bit my lip. “Well, first he grabbed my hair and pulled me down three steps. Then he grabbed my arms, making me stay in front of him, but with everything I said, he tightened his grip, making my arms go numb.” I looked down at my arms. “The scratch marks are from me pulling away, hastily.” David followed my eyes and looked at my arms as well. “Then, after I ran away from him, he burst into my room, pinned me to the ground and blind folded me so I couldn’t see what was coming. He led me to the bathroom where he told me to open my mouth and he put soap in my mouth. He made me keep it there until he told me to spit it out, but while I still had soap in my mouth, he tried to…he uh…he…” I stuttered, not wanting to say the words out loud.

“I got it.” David snapped. I looked up to see a hard stare from him. I knew it wasn’t toward me, but I couldn’t help but feel the power behind it. It was such a hard stare that I looked away before he could continue. I looked down at the pillow in my lap and played with my fingers. “I saw your jeans when you were standing at the door.” His voice lightened just the slightest bit. “How far did he get with that?”

I could almost physically feel him shaking with anger. He hated the things that Tim did to me, and I knew that, but there wasn’t anything that could be done. “Not too far.” I said. “I snapped out of my frozen state and spat the soap into his face and took off. Then, he grabbed my ankle and tripped me.” David looked down at my legs and moved my jeans out of the way to see if I had any marks on my ankles. I didn’t. Not yet, anyway, though I probably had one on my knee. I was starting to throb right now. “He then sat on me so I couldn’t move, but I got myself free, and after a little more running and fighting – where I may or may not have kicked him where it counts – I made my way here.”