Chapter 44:

Ch. 44

~David POV~

Peyton didn’t say one word to me after our conversation once she laid her head on my shoulder. Instead we just sat there in silence; until she moved so she was lying down, using my lap as her pillow. I couldn’t blame her for going off on me like that, I mean, I did majorly screw up, but I just wish she would believe me when I tell her what I did. I may have done that one stupid thing, but I know for a fact that baby isn’t mine. I looked down at Peyton when I felt her even breathing from where I had my arm laying across her shoulders, telling me she had fallen asleep.

I played with her hair, hoping it would relax her, even in her dreaming state. Poor thing must be completely exhausted from all this stress lately. I can only imagine everything she’s going through right now. There was a knock on my bedroom door, causing me to jump from the noise since it was so quiet in my room. I glanced down at Peyton to see her roll over to her other side, freeing my lap, but stayed asleep. I got up, careful not to shift her, letting her sleep longer, knowing she needed it. I walked to my bedroom door to see who it was. “Hunter?” I asked, shocked to see him. I just assumed it was my mom telling me she was back or something.

“Hey.” He looked to the ground while his hands were behind his back.

I raised my eyebrow at him because he looked guilty of something. “What’s up?”

“What’s going on with everyone, David?” He asked, frowning and looking up at me.

I sighed. I should have known this was coming. Hunter is a smart kid. He knows when something is wrong. I turned him around, “Come on, we’ll talk in your room.” I shut the door gently behind me and walked Hunter to his room.

When we got in the room, Hunter sat on his bed and looked up at me, waiting for me to talk. I pulled his bean bag chair over and sat in it. “What do you want to know?” I looked at my little brother.

Hunter crisscrossed his legs and leaned on them with his elbows. “I want to know everything that’s going on. Starting with the person who did that to mom and who is hurting Peyton.”

“How do you know about Peyton?” That shocked me, not even going to lie.

He rolled his eyes, “David, I’m not stupid. I saw the mark on her cheek, and there has to be a reason that she’s been staying here besides the fact that she’s your girlfriend. Also, I knew she was crying earlier. I saw it on her face.”

I ran my fingers through my hair. “Fine, I should give you more credit of catching on to things. Look, Peyton’s step dad, Tim, has done some pretty bad things to her and has hurt her one too many times. That’s why she’s here and not at her own house. That same guy is the one who hurt mom.”

“So that’s why Peyton apologized to mom last night. I’ve heard her say sorry an awful lot.” Hunter said.

Man, he really was growing up fast. I still picture him as my little baby brother, but he is in those preteen years now. Here I am having an adult conversation with him. I’m not sure how I feel about that. “Well, she shouldn’t be apologizing. It’s not her fault at all.”

“That’s what mom keeps telling her.” He said and then looked sad. “I feel bad for her.”

“For her?” I asked, not sure if he meant mom or Peyton.

“Peyton.” He stated.

I had a feeling that was who he was talking about, but figured I would just make sure first. “Why’s that?”

“Because.” He stopped talking and thought about where he was going with that. “Home is where you are supposed to feel safe because that’s where your mom and dad are, and they are supposed to protect you, not hurt you. Peyton can’t even be safe in her own home.”