Chapter 51:

Ch. 51

“Oh hell no!” David yelled. I just stared at him with my hands on my hips, getting all serious on him. He shook his head as he jumped off the bed and paced towards me. “No, I won’t let you do that!”

“You don’t have a choice!” I yelled. “It’s my decision and you have to let me do it! Just hand over your phone!” I held my hand out, waiting.

He shook his head again, eyes blazing with anger. “No, I refuse to let you use my phone to do something stupid like that! Come on, Peyton; use your head for once.”

“I always use my head, thank you!” I crossed my arms over my chest. “Things may come out in a jumbled mess sometimes, but I still use it. Besides, how else and I supposed to catch Tim in the act if you don’t give me your damn phone! I don’t have a phone of my own, so I need something.”

“Uh-uh.” He started pacing. “I can’t just stand around and watch it happen.”

“Too bad. There is no other way. You don’t have to watch. You can stay here in my room and I’ll go do the dirty work.” I held out my hand again, “Phone.”

“You’re not getting it!” His glare was harsh, but it wasn’t about to make me flinch this time. “You just got out of the hospital, I’m not about to let him put you back in.”

“But if he did then it would finally prove to my mom what kind of man he is!” Not that I wanted it to go that far, but if it took that far for people to believe me then I would do it.

David’s face turned into even more of a scowl than I thought possible. “Are you freaking insane, Peyton?” He ran his hands so roughly through his hair that I thought he was going to pull half of it out. “I mean, have you lost your damn mind!?!? Are you just asking for a death wish?”

“No!” This time I flinched, and my voice didn’t come out as firm as I wanted it to. His look was beginning to frighten me a little. “Of course I don’t have a death wish, but I know he’s going to snap eventually and I need a camera! Now, I’m not going to fight you on this anymore. Give. Me. Your. Phone!” I said each word through my clenched teeth. I knew he wasn’t going to like it, which is exactly why I didn’t want to tell him, but he made me when I asked for his phone.

I could see him contemplating his options. “How can I believe he won’t hurt you too bad?”

“You can’t.” I stated. It was the truth; there was no sense in sugar coating things that I can’t control. “But you just have to trust me to get away fast enough.” I was hoping I could, anyway. He was very unpredictable that I wasn’t positive I could get away in time, but I had to do something. This had to end.

“You’re not going to give this up, are you?” He asked, sighing and looking down at the ground, avoiding my eyes.

“No.” I said and shook my head.

He huffed and looked up at me after pulling out his phone and staring at it. “One condition.”

“What?” I asked.

He hesitated; probably still debating on whether he wanted to hand it over or not. “You have to let me be there to stop him if he gets too rough.”

I thought it over. “You have to stay hidden and you can’t instantly stop him. As much as you might want to, you just have to let him do his thing.” I took a deep breath, calming my now shot nerves. “I know what I’m doing.”

David walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me. “I still don’t like this at all, but I know you’ll find some way to do it, so I might as well be here to help you.”