Chapter 62:

Ch. 62

 ~Peyton~

“Oh my goodness honey, you look so adorable.” Mom gushed. “I can’t believe this is your wedding day! You’ve just graduated high school and now you’re getting married!”

David and I decided that we wanted to get married before the baby came and before we moved so that he could go to college. I just wanted to go up to the court house and get married but he insisted on having a small ceremony in his backyard and inviting family and friends. He told me that I would regret not having one and he didn’t want me to have any regrets, so I went with it. He also told me that we had to wait until after we graduated high school for some reason, which we just did a month ago.

“Mom!” I groaned. “First of all, don’t go getting all mopey on me because then you’ll make me cry because of my hormones. Second of all, I am not adorable in any way.” I looked at myself in the mirror in David’s room where I’ve been for forever since mom was doing my hair and I wasn’t allowed to see any of the decorations outside or anything. “I mean, look at me! I’m a freaking balloon!!”

“You do not look like a balloon.” She scolded me. “You look adorably pregnant.” As of today, I am five months pregnant, but I was pregnant with twins so my stomach was even bigger.

I rolled my eyes. “I do not.” I fidgeted with my dress. “I can’t even get this thing to look good on me! This is stupid! Why couldn’t he just agree with me and go to the court house to do this!” I complained.

Mom smiled, being annoyingly patient with me. “Because he wanted to make sure that you have everything that you’d want and he knows that you would regret not doing this in the future. It may not seem like it right now, but you will.”

“Fine.” I grumbled and finally got my dress to do what I wanted it to do. I wasn’t in any way wearing a wedding dress. I knew I wouldn’t be able to fit in one and with my constant growing belly, I wasn’t going to try to go to fittings or anything. Instead, I convinced mom and Linda to let me just wear a cute summer dress. I ended up winning, but I’m not so sure on how cute it is anymore. Not with my huge stomach being just…there completely on display.

“Can I come in?” Dad asked, cracking the door open a little.

Mom looked over, “Yeah, it’s okay.”

They’ve been getting along recently again. I was glad to see them on speaking terms. I knew they weren’t ever going to get back together, but at least they could be civil with each other and could be in the same room and have fun. “How’s the birthday girl / bride?”

That’s another thing. Today was my eighteenth birthday. David told me that it would be easier for us if we waited for my birthday whether we had a normal wedding or went to the courthouse. If I was under eighteen then I would need both my parents there to sign for me. “Annoyed.” I said. “Mom is being annoyingly sweet and it’s hot and my back hurts and I’m aggravated and I just want to get this over with!”

Dad started laughing and glanced over at mom who was also trying to hold back a laugh. “She sounds like you when you were five months pregnant with her.”

“Hey!” She smacked him on the arm. “I resent that comment!”

“Just speaking the truth, Audry.” He smirked. “So, are you ready to walk down the aisle?” He asked, turning to look at me.

I sighed and took one last look in the mirror. My dress was a halter dress that was white with light pink flowers across it. I couldn’t convince mom and Linda to let me stay away from white. They insisted on it since I was going against the wedding dress. My hair was completely curled and pulled off to the side with a slight bump on the top. I guess this was as good as it was getting. Thankfully, mom and Linda let me wear a pair of flats as my shoes so that I wouldn’t fall or risk hurting myself. “I guess so.”