27- Fire drill?

Recap-

"Sorry angel," Blake whispered. Silence met his apology. I knew that the best way to make someone go insane was to act like they didn't exist. And that's exactly what I did to Blake and Axel. Like an adult, I gave them the silent treatment. Or I at least tried to.

But I knew that today we were supposed to do some group activity in class, so I had no idea how I would get away with not talking to them at all.

Ugh.

******

"Do you want to do the writing, and I'll do the picture?" I said reluctantly. My voice sounded kind of croaky because I was trying to seem indifferent.

"Sure," Blake murmured.

"Guess I'll do the speech?" Axel offered.

"Yeah," I answered.

He took out a piece of paper and opened up his textbook. There was an awkward moment of silence before I nodded my head and started the project. We were basically supposed to create a picture, an explanation, and a presentation of a special aspect of the 1920s.

"What are you drawing baby?" Axel leaned into my shoulder. I held my breath and prayed that he couldn't sense my rapid heart beat. He smelled good though, and a man shouldn't smell that good, it wasn't fair. Most guys at school just sprayed on tons of Axe, but both Blake and Axel had this rich, spicy smell to them. And I know that it sounds weird that someone can smell spicy, but that's the only way I could describe their yummy smell.

"Some flappers," I was trying to sketch the outline of the dancers' bodies in pencil.

"Nice." The next few minutes were spent in silence. I didn't say anything until I peeked at Blake's paper. He had written multiple paragraphs already, but his handwriting was horrible. It looked like chicken scratch.

"What is that handwriting?" I couldn't stop myself from commenting.

"Why are you judging?" he scoffed.

"Never mind," I went back to sketching. Before I could put my pencil back on my paper, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me against his chest.

"Must you judge, cruel woman?" he whispered in my ear. Involuntarily, I shivered.

"Your handwriting hurts my heart," I joked.

"What can I do to get rid of the pain?" he said seriously. I could sense that he was talking about something else.

"Bake me a pie," I hummed.

"Huh?"

"Bake me a pie."

"Okay angel," he tapped my head and sat back. I could tell by the grin on his face that he was definitely going to do what I asked him.

******

Twenty minutes later, I was about to be done with my picture, and Axel was going over the speech that he had written. I glanced to the other side, and to my surprise, Blake was painstakingly writing out each letter. His handwriting was remarkably neat, and I giggled when I saw the look of focus on his face. His eyebrows were wrinkled together, his lips were pursed, and he was putting so much effort into writing neat.

"Okay students, now-" Our teacher's words were abruptly stopped by the blaring alarm bell. I jumped when the alarm started blaring. The sound the alarm was making right now wasn't the same sound that is made when there was a fire drill or an evacuation.

"That sounds weird," I commented. I turned to Axel to ask him something, but he had such a serious look on his face that I stopped talking for a moment. "What's wrong? It's just a fire drill." I pushed myself out of my seat to evacuate, but before I could even lift my whole butt off the seat, he put his arm on my shoulder and softly pushed me back onto the seat. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Stay here," he paused. "This isn't a fire drill."

"Then what-"

"Just stay here." I looked to the side to see if Blake was feeling the same way, but he wasn't even there. He wasn't even in the classroom. In fact, half of the students in the class had left. The other half were just sitting in their seats, with confused looks on their faces.

"I thought it was a fire drill."

"It's not," Axel paused. "But don't worry, you'll be fine, just stay by me."

"I don't understand..."

"Just stay near me, okay?" he had a worried look on his face. "Promise me?"

"But I-"

"Promise me."

"Fine, I promise." I reluctantly leaned back in my seat and started glancing around the room.

A minute passed.

And another.

And another.

I was about to put my head on the table and try to take a short nap when the window to my side shattered. Like completely shattered. Tiny little pieces of glass flew across the room. As tiny pieces found themselves embedded in my face and arm, I gasped in pain.

I was about to move away before a large wolf jumped out of the broken hole in the window. I just stood there in shock. You know when you see a person in the movie just standing there while all the chaos is going on and you just want to yell "MOVE!" at the top of your lungs? I was that dumb person who couldn't move.

Axel grabbed my waist and pulled me away from the wolf. He was moving through all of the broken glass to the door, when another wolf showed up. And that wolf was completely blocking the door way.

"What the hell?" I almost peed my pants; I was so scared. Axel just barreled through the wolf so that we could leave. He literally shoved his way out of the classroom. "That football training must really come in handy."

Axel didn't answer my comment. He just started running as fast as he could through the hallway, towards the school exit. I was starting to get dizzy; he was running so fast.

Finally, he burst through the school doors and was running in the direction of his car. Before we could even get down the steps of the school, three more wolves appeared right in front of us. I could see their sharp teeth and bright red eyes. They didn't look like regular wolves. All three of them were bigger than a normal wolf, but they didn't look healthy. Their bodies were shaking, and it looked like they were under some drug.

"Axel?" I felt the impending doom from the situation that both of us were currently in. We were probably going to die.

I looked up at Axel, and to my surprise, his eyes were pitch black. His sclera was even black.

Fur was growing on his arms, and his fingers were turning into claws.

He almost looked like a werewolf.

But those didn't exist, right?

******