Did he seriously just wink at me?

After a moment, the wolves regained their focus and simultaneously attacked Calix. Calix was an amazing swordsman. He jumped from tree to tree, flipped backwards over a wolf and sliced off its head.

Aagghh! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!

He was too quick for them. Next, he ran and slid on the ground thrusting his sword into the stomach of a lunging wolf. He got one from the back and shifted around and got another one while kicking the animal to his side. Corinne watched in pure astonishment. None of the wolves could even get close to him. He was such an excellent fighter, so fluid and exact in all his motions; he wasn't even concerned about being harmed. He got rid of them one by one, clearly showing off the entire time. When the last wolf was lying motionless on the ground, Calix brushed off his shoulder and smiled in Corinne's direction.

The forest was completely quiet and Corinne felt relieved that things might actually be okay. Suddenly there were multiple howls in the distance. Calix's former arrogance dissolved rapidly. Calix drew his sword in front of him, ready for the coming onslaught.

"Stay down! They work in packs and are extremely intelligent" he yelled.

Within seconds, a flood of wolves were upon Calix. One wolf appeared to be the main leader. He barked and the other wolves circled Calix while some went off in the distance. A few wolves stood up on their hind legs and growled as the others attacked. Calix fought fiercely, but wolf after wolf kept closing in on him. Corinne heard rustling and she turned her head. Bria was about to run out to the middle of the fight.

"What are you doing? Get back down right now. I'm serious. You are going to get yourself killed."

"I can't just let him be out there all by himself," Bria cried, "he might get hurt, and he is the only help we've got left. Corinne, we won't make it here without him. You know I'm fast and he needs a distraction." And then she was gone. Corinne reached out and tried to grab her, but she was too late.

Calix lifted his head and screamed, "Bria -NO-NO!" Four wolves broke away from the pack and turned their attention to the one girl running all alone. Bria was running as fast as she could. She looked back over her shoulder and screamed. They were getting very close, and howled after her. Her adrenaline rushed through her legs as she raced faster than she ever had before, but the wolves were faster. She reached a tall oak tree with low branches and scrambled up. Just when she thought she was safe, one of the wolves leapt into the air and grabbed her leg, dragging her back to the ground.

No matter how many wolves Calix fought off, more and more kept coming. All Corinne could hear were Bria's screams.

Corinne stood up. She would not let this happen. Her fear changed to anger and a storm began to form. Wind was picking up quickly. Corinne felt something in her bones. A power she couldn't explain. A tornado started forming in the distance, moving in their direction. Corinne's hair flipped wildly about her face as she focused as hard as she could. A single wolf tried to attack her and she shoved her hand out in protest. A wind force made the wolf fly back and slam into a tree and yelp. It slunk back to limp after its companions. Corinne turned her head towards the noise. Calix fought his way through the remaining wolves, trying to get to Bria. Just as he was about to reach her, a large group of wolves surrounded Bria and carried her away dragging her by the cloak of her dress in the opposite direction of the tornado. Corinne tried to make the wind reach the wolves but they were too far out of the distance.

Corinne stood frozen in a state of shock. She could not move. Calix turned and ran back towards her. Angrily, her body shook. She was all alone in this world, except for HIM. There was a flash of lightning and a crash of thunder as dark clouds quickly gathered over their heads.