Illum's Crystals

The crystals grew
Clear as ice and cold untill they found the hands that waited for them, they added structre in an ordered way, one prism at a time. And while they grew, they waited.

From time to time, someone would arrive and call to them, like the harmony of a perfect song.

Each crystal had a chosen bearer, and only that bearer would hear the music and see the glow. All other's would pass by, seeing nothing but more ice.

There were larger crystals, visible to all but inert unless properly calibrated, and there there were tiny one's, the size od fingernails or smaller. Even the smallest could channle power and find a bearer. All they had to do was be patient and grow.

There was no particular pattern for where the crystals might be found. There were some planet's that's hosted them in countless numbers, and those places were considered holy or spacial. Pilgrimages were made and lessons learned and lightsabers crafted. And thus the light crystal went about the galaxy to be put to use.

Dark crystals were made to, but not in that holy place. They were plundered from the rightful bearer and corrupted by the hands that stole them. Even rock could be changed by the power of the force, bleeding alterations until their color was the deepest red. The balanced was fienly staged between the two, light and dark, and it took very little to upset it.

When the first ship appeared in the sky over a planet where the crystals grew in number, nothing seemed ammis. Ship's visited the planet all the time, and crystals were taken away, but this occasion was diffrent. There was no young bearers to hear the songs, no attentive student's to learn the lessons. There was only greed and terrible, terrible want.

The planet was ravaged, it's crystals broken by uncaring hands who thought to twist them to their own uses.

No more could the planet be a holy place, and no longer a pilgrimage be made. Instead, those who had once home there would avoid it and despair for the loss of the crystals that once sang to them.

But in the widdness of the galaxy, there were many planet's and many places where the crystals could appear. They would be harder to find, their concentration lower, but would not be impossible for one who sought, for one who listened-for one who had learned the first lessons and had patience to learn more.

The crystals grew, adding structure in an ordered way, one prism at a time.

And while they grew, they waited.

-Star Wars Ahsoka

(This was one of my favorite parts of the book Star Wars Ahsoka)