Chapter Eighteen (Ky)

***TEMPORARY WARNING: IF YOU FIND THE WORD 'RYAN' ANYTIME THROUGHOUT THIS CHAPTER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY, THANK YOU***

"I'm almost eighteen actually," Jacob replies to my lame age guess.

"I knew that," I shade a little bit of sarcasm as a response.

"Oh sure you did," he rolls his eyes, smiling.  "I'm going to take a guess that you're sixteen?"

"Okay," I say, glaring at him, "that's just offensive..."

"What?  I bet you're just a year above," he pauses, "Seventeen?"

"Ding!  Ding!"

"Do I get a prize now?" Jacob asks me, eagerly.

"Umm..." I look around the table for something to hand him, "sure.  You can have a bite of my sandwich."

He gives my food a disgusted stare, "never mind..."

"Aye Mr. Burger King, this isn't too bad," I say, taking another bite.

"Are juiceless tomatoes supposed to be as wet and wrinkly as they are shown here?" He gives me a counter example.

"Well..." I retort, "they are now."

"That's not how it works."

"But it is now."

"We have a long trip ahead..." Jacob sighs.  "And the excuse that I'm hearing from you in the next few days is going to be 'what do you mean I can't do that?  Well I can now!'" He uses a high-pitched voice to mock me.

I think of something annoyingly repetitive from Jacob, "'we have to go... I'll tell you later,'"

"'What?  What?  What?  What?'"

"'I just told you an over-flowingly large amount of information... How do you not understand it all?'"

"'Do you have an Instagram?'"

"'We can legit get away with driving across the country with ignoring the FBI.'"

"'OMG an Injected just followed me... Wait, should I block her or let her follow my location?  I can't tell.'"

"'I have a truck full of junk food and boy crap.'"

Jacob laughs a little, gently setting his palm on the table's surface, "okay, I'm done."

"Seriously though... What is boy crap?"

"Glad you don't know to be honest," he answers.

"I bet the bed of your truck is where you keep your stash of condoms," I roll my eyes.

"Don't be gross," he complains, "since when did you think a girl would want a guy like me?"

I raise an eyebrow, eyeing his finely-sculpted facial features.  "Never have I ever thought of you with a girl," I'm not sure if he catches my sarcasm.

Jacob pauses for a moment, his expression transferring from playful and lonesome to deep in thought.  It makes me wonder what is suddenly set on his mind at the moment.

A flashback maybe?

For what feels like a minute or so, I watch him.  He really does seem to be deep in thought. 

"Jacob?" I wave my hand in front of him lightly. 

"Let's go..." He says, his mind still focused on a different world.