Chapter Eight (Ky)

Just one night ago, I would've just thought that hearing 'the Injected' outside my bedroom window, having no idea what was happening, was the scariest moment that I had been through.  Now I stand strongly corrected.  I don't have a house to run downstairs to, and the person who is most likely to protect me is gone.  I'm technically on car-island here, struggling for the boy and the pizza to come.

I close my eyes, recalling the moment.

Jacob turns around, closing the door behind him at the same time.  For a moment, I want to follow him.  Help him pick everything up.  I'm not even sure why he wants me to stay here.  Will leaving me alone help protect me more than following him?  I guess so.  For a few moments of silence, all I can hear is my loud thoughts and my breathing.  I imagine what Connor and Vivian are doing.  Thinking about me?  When I turn my phone back on, I want to see how many messages and missed calls I get.  I'll handle everything later.  Jacob might want to tell me what I can and can't say.  Jacob.  He's pretty damn hot- not to be weird or shallow.  I really can't help myself on physical appearance.  I wonder what he's doing right now.  How much pizza did he order?  Probably a lot.  I'm hungry as fuck, and he's a boy.  I've never seen a boy who doesn't enjoy eating. 
Something suddenly interrupts my thoughts.  A clattering near a grey trash can.  I notice the top twirling in circles, the handle keeping it away from spinning smoothly.
Cling.
Cling.
Cling.
It's stop is too abrupt.  The moment that it started to slow down, it stilled completely.
"I might be a human, but at least I'm not stupid!"  I shout, likely to myself but I'm pretty sure they can hear me.  The Injected have good hearing, right.
Wait.
Aren't I half Injected already?
I wonder if this may help me do good on my math and science quizzes... If I'll ever have them again.  What if I resign to a school in Virginia?  That would be cool...
BANG!
Holly.  Shit. 
My hand darts toward the lock.  I look around the car for any open windows.  Thank God there's none.
"Don't even think about it, bitches!"  A creepy but nervous laugh escapes my lips.
Ahead of me, I see the outline of a human figure.  It has a whitish glow to it.  Everything seems to be in blurred detail.  I notice it's grasping something.  Obviously it is metallic- as the figure disappears, I notice the light from a street lamp glint and reflect against the tip.  It hits the center of my eye.
I curl into a ball.  My face presses between my knees.  I don't want this to end now... Please... I haven't even gotten out of the country yet... I've never kissed a boy before... I've never even been thankful that all I used to worry about was homework... I'm definitely not going to be happy about life now.  Why is it that we always enjoy things the moment that they leave our lives forever?  Maybe I should just be aware of this.
KNOCK!
Shit.  Suddenly, my eyes dart towards the car window.  It's just Jacob.  Thank the Lord. 
I unlock the car door.
"Can we leave now?"

Just thinking about it all just gives me the chills.

Only one question lingers onto my mind at this moment...

Why did they disappear the moment that Jacob came?  Is there a certain reason that makes them have to be unseen?

Jacob stops his car, then turns his head toward my direction.

"Hey," he says, pressing his lips together in a somewhat comforting smile.  I return an attempt of one.  "They're gone now.   Trust me.  I'll make sure that they won't get to you."  Awkwardly, he rubs the side of my shoulder.

"How can you do that?  What if they inject you too?"  I get it... This boy looks like he knows what he's doing... But does he really?