Chapter Three (Jacob)

Shit. 

The sunlight shining through the curtains stings into my not yet adjusted eyes, making me squint.  I turn around  so my head rests above my pillows.  I guess I really don't have to wake up until two o'clock- around the time when school ends.

I roll to my side, my back facing the window, and lift my phone.

1:05, the time reads on the heading of my lock screen.  I bolt straight upwards.  I have fifty-five minutes before I leave.  Fifty- five minutes to plan everything out without looking... Creepy...

It's not like my job already isn't pretty eerie.  I mean, it's helpful, but it's pretty frightening.  This is now the Injected's fourth known victim.  The other two were pretty freaked out.  More or less by me.  I mean, I wouldn't care if some random stranger took me in saying that a group of people that have been drugged by vaccines that has caused them to have high intelligence and accelerated speed are after them to inject them and become one of them and that if they don't run immediately they will probably end up killing their family.

Okay.  Maybe I would have issues with that.

I wouldn't blame them if they didn't agree to come.  I mean, look at me.  I'm grade-school aged but has never been seen around town.

Why should people even care?

What  do they think I am... Some rapist?

I laugh silently and stupidly to myself.

If  somebody were walking by, they'd only guess that I am staring in space.  Probably even thinking about depressing things.  To be honest, my life kind of sucks.  I've been so isolated from humanity for so long.  I mean, maybe that's why I liked Charlee so much.  Well, obviously because she was cute, funny, nice, and all of the shit that everyone would die for.

But there was something else about her.  How she made me feel when I was around her.  It was hard to explain.  She made me feel... Like a person.

Not some holy mythical being that needs to be bowed to.

Not some piece of scum that has to do all of the work for everyone.

Not some total weirdo that follows random people around.

I've never really been categorized into any other areas until she became their next victim.

I close my eyes for a moment.  She is no longer a victim to them anymore.  She has become one of them.  By this point, she probably doesn't even remember me.  God only knows what they did to her after the third Injection.

Sometimes I wish that we knew each other outside of my job.  Maybe the Injected wouldn't even have to be there.  We could be normal kids going to a normal school and worrying about small shit like homework or social drama.  We would spend more time together.  Travel the world after college.

Or maybe I should have protected her better.  Keep her at my side at all times.  Never let go- I would never want to let go.  We could be a part of each other's lives forever.

Maybe if that happened, they would forget about her.  Move onto this victim. 

The Injected are afraid of me after all.

Quickly, I throw on a shirt (I didn't feel like taking the time to change my jeans).

Completely relaxed, I slowly walk towards the fancy hotel bathroom.  Delicately, a boxed bar of soap, a plastic comb, and some hair gel are set inside the drawer beneath the sink.  Easy enough for now.

After taking a good moment of focus on my reflection, I walk towards my bed again.

I shove my phone in my bag and grab my latte before leaving the room, swinging the room key around my finger.  After returning it to the counter, I walk towards my parked truck.