Chapter Fifteen (Jacob)

The three of us are sitting in my mother's living room, bowls in all but Ky's hand.

Ky has suited herself with a piece of toast.

"Do you have any idea what the deal for sleeping is?" My mother asks.

I nod. Ky shakes her head.

"She's on the bed," I say.

"And you?" My mother raises an eyebrow.

"I'll bunch a couple of blankets and lay on them," a sigh pushes past my lips.

"Why not on the couch?"

I pause for a moment.

Why not?

I don't know, maybe because if leave her alone for an entire night, the Injected might crawl through the window, stab a needle up her neck, then turn her into one of them. I think that sounds fair...

"Well... I'm not sure if Ky feels comfortable sleeping alone at someone else's house... Whatever she wants..."

"Sleeping alone?" Ramona raises an eyebrow.

"I'll be on the floor," I respond, bluntly.

"He can sleep on the floor," Ky says this at the same time as my statement.

"Whatever you say..." Is my mother's last few words before the rest of our dinner is in silence.

Once we're finished, I go over to the laundry room in hopes to find extra blankets and pillows. They're there, just lazily tossed into a plastic basket.

I pick them up and bring them to the room. I'll work it out later.

When I come back, I notice that Ky is looking at her phone again. I glance towards my mother, who has obviously noticed but doesn't want to say anything.

Mom never really liked devices. She thought they were a waste of time. She didn't like it when someone would stare at a phone for a long time and forget that anyone was around them. I'd get in trouble every time I did that, which happened a lot.

She never liked it when I went out too much.  Now that I think about it, I'm sure that she was afraid that I may tell someone.  I guess I didn't understand back then but I do now.

So instead of hanging out with my friends, I would call or text them. Mother couldn't stand this. I'd only get the chance to go on my phone an hour every day because of that.

I don't want her to know that I used my own money to just buy another one. She'd probably ask for my number, which is definitely not something that I would want from her. Not at this moment.

Honestly, I have never thought about what my mom and I will do after the Injected are finished with. I'll have to get a useful job. One that will spare me for the rest of my life.

If there is a cure, would I want to be turned into a normal person or continue to be a 'disabled Injected' or whatever the Base wants to call me... I kind of like what I am. I can move quickly, think logically. And it's nothing compared to the Injected's power. It's just... A cool thing to have.

The base might 'cure me' afterward. So people don't grow jealous and want Injections for themselves. That's kind of how the whole thing started, to be honest.  Greed.

And then what will my mother do?

Continue to act the way she is?

I guess nothing really seems like a big difference to her whether the Injected are here or not.