"What about my father?"

"We don't know Tali." Admiral Gerrel admitted. "We sent a strike team to investigate and lost almost the entire squad. By all accounts, there is no one left alive aboard the ship."

"We have to get it back." Callie argued.

"If you're looking for an honourable death, you needn't bother." Koris sneered.

"I'm looking for my father you Bosh'tet!" Tali swore.

"Very well." Shala'Raan agreed. "You and Commander Shepard will attempt to take back the Alarei. We will reconvene when you return."

Tali was shaken and livid as the Admirals and the others gathered dispersed.

"Why!? Why?" Tali shouted at her aunt. "You knew about my father and you said nothing!"

"I wanted to Tali. But the other Admirals needed to see your reaction, to prove you had nothing to do with what happened."

"It was still a lousy thing to do Admiral." Callie seethed.

"I know and I'm sorry Tali."

"Should we talk to anyone before we go Tali?" Garrus asked.

"I don't think it will change anyone's mind, but maybe they can tell us more about the Alarei." Tali said.

After talking to the Admirals, it was clear that Tali's trial was not foremost on their minds. They seemed to care more about taking back their home planet and starting a war with the geth. Having learned all they could, they headed to the Alarei.

----xxx----

Once on board, they found the ship eerily silent. They heard nothing but the sounds of their own breathing inside their helmets. Life support levels on the ship were intermittent so Callie ordered them to keep their helmets on. As they made their way to the bridge, Tali stopped to check terminals for clues on what had happened.

"Is there anything on there that helps you Tali?" Callie asked.

"No, nothing that proves the salvaged geth parts I sent my father were inactive. But Shepard, some of it... some of it suggests my father was testing weapons on active geth. This goes against everything my people outlawed. It breaks one of our most sacred laws."

"And your father kept records of this?" Garrus asked, joining them.

"Yes. It's bad Garrus. I can't believe he would do this Shepard. If this is true, then all of this is his fault."

"Come on, we need to keep moving." Callie urged.

"Right behind you Shepard." Garrus noted.

Passing through a corridor, they entered what looked like a mess hall. They hadn't gone far when a squad of well-armed geth starting pouring through the door. Outnumbered, they took up defensive positions, keeping to the sides of the room to avoid an ambush.

Tali activated her attack drone, launching it into the centre of three mobile geth units. The drone sent electric charges into every geth within range, rendering them immobile. Garrus took them down with expert precision with his rifle, while Callie lifted her targets with Singularity to keep them from overwhelming them.

A short while later, they'd passed through three waves of geth and were nearing the central processing room. It was there that Tali said they would find the master control terminal that would shut down any remaining geth.

"The room we're looking for should be just up the stairs at the end of this hall Shepard." Tali called, rushing ahead.

Callie heard a gasp and hurried to catch up, weapon ready. She stopped dead when she saw Tali kneeling by the body of her father. "No, no, no." She cried. "You wouldn't do this, you couldn't! You promised to build me a house on the home-world!"

Callie tapped her on the shoulder, feeling helpless. "Tali, it's okay. Come here." She said, gathering her into a gentle hug.

"No, it's not okay Shepard." Tali sobbed. "How could he have done this? Everything that happened here is his fault. He violated our most sacred law. He caused all of this. Maybe... maybe he left me a message." She whimpered, turning back to her father.

Callie was furious with Rael'Zorah's final words to his daughter. He had left a message, one that instructed Tali to save the data he'd gathered and pass it on to one of the Admirals. But that was all... instructions.

"Come on Tali." Callie urged. "Let's finish this."

Only three geth units were waiting for them in the final area of the ship. Having fought through dozens more than that already, they had them destroyed in minutes. Tali ran to the master terminal at the far end of the room, still hoping she could clear her father's name.

As they joined her and heard the recordings, it was clear Tali's hope was futile.

"This proves you didn't do anything wrong Tali. We can take this back to the Admirals and get you cleared of the charges. Keep you from being exiled."

"We can't Shepard!" She cried. "My people will brand him a traitor, strip his name from every ship he served on and wipe all records of everything good he did from our history. He'll become the monster in my people's children's stories. I can't let this be my father's legacy."

"Come on. We need to get back." Callie urged.

"Please Shepard, I beg you. Don't say anything about this."

"We'll see."

----xxx----

The Admirals were already holding court and preparing to vote on Tali's fate when they returned to the ship.

"Nice of you to wait." Callie fumed. "We cleared the geth out. Go get your ship."

"Commander Shepard. We are glad to see you return safely." Shala'Raan said calmly. "The quarian people owe you a debt for saving the Alarei."

Callie kept silent, not trusting herself to speak.

"Tali'Zorah, have you found evidence to prove you did not bring active geth into our midst?" Admiral Koris queried.

Callie stepped forward as Tali whispered, "Please, Shepard."

"Tali shouldn't have to prove anything." Callie snapped. "Tali helped me stop the geth on Virmire. She helped me stop Saren and Sovereign. She's done more to help the quarian people than anyone I know."

"We aren't questioning Tali's loyalty Commander Shepard." Koris objected.

"That's right." Callie sneered. "You don't even care about Tali. This whole trial is about going to war with the geth. It's about taking back your home-world."

Murmurs and gasps echoed throughout those gathered in the audience.

"You're right Commander." Koris admitted. "We used this trial to air our differences regarding the geth. I'm sorry Tali."

"If there is nothing further, are the Admirals prepared to decide?" Shala'Raan asked.

Unanimously, they voted to drop the charges against Tali, but Callie was still fuming. "Admirals, don't go to war with the geth. If the Reapers attack, we'll need your help to stop them."

"Thank you Commander Shepard." Koris replied. "I hope the Admirals seriously consider your words of warning."

Throwing her hands up in disgust, Callie turned and stalked out of the room. Outside the hallway, she waited while Tali said goodbye to her aunt and various friends.

"Shepard, thank you." Tali said when she finished. "I've never had anyone speak like that on my behalf before."

"It's what friends do Tali. If you want, we can go back in there and get you exiled." Callie teased.

"No, I'm fine the way things are. Besides, it's fun watching you shout."

"Come on Tali'Zorah vas Normandy, let's get back to our ship."