"You, my mom."

"You don't have to answer this but where is your dad?"

"They split up, my dad remarried and had two more kids by the time I was four." I feel a pit twist in my stomach as I think about what he's been through.

"That must suck."

"It really does, anyway I'll see you in the morning," Cevin groans before getting up off my bed and going to Joshs room.

I go down stairs to get me a bottle of water to help calm my nerves, or at least keep me busy for a moment as I wrap my head around the situation. I go back upstairs to take my medicine. When I'm done with that I lay down and go to sleep.

———

After breakfast the boys and I go wait for the bus. I hate waiting for the bus, it smells and always takes too long. A 1993 red Camaro pulls up to us as the window rolls down Nick is shown grinning like a cat.

"My mom got me a late birthday present. Get in!" Nick grins happily. His happiness rubs off on me making me smile.

"Good with me," I grumble trying to downplay how this makes my morning so much better. I let Cevin and Josh get in first so I can ride up front with Nick, since he's my friend and all.

"Feeling better?" Josh asks as he buckled up. I just nod my head at first but then stop.

"Sleep, food, and a shower fixes everything," I say like it's logic, which it is. A hot shower, a full stomach and a good sleep is the best thing anyone could do. The low hum of the engine is all we hear for a minute or so.

"Never in my life would I have guessed my sister, Riley, would make a guy best friend in a day," Josh says probably shaking his head. I feel a blush spread across my cheeks making me smile. It is unusual for me to make friends that quick, as stated before, I get paranoid.

"It takes practice to get a shy person as your friend that quick. Also, if she stays around me any longer she won't be shy any more," Nick says with so much confidence that it suffocates me a little. It is actually comforting people see my paranoia as shyness.

"You're a jerk," I say trying lighten up my own mood.

"Oh come on!" Nick yells jokingly.

"Tomorrow's Friday. Do you think we are going to win?" Cevin asks. He must mean the football game.

"Yes! We are the mighty Eagles!" Nick screams seaming way too intense but yet so at ease. His hair is sticking up at odd angles, he probably didn't brush his hair. I feel like that's his normal look for his curly hair.

"Who are we facing?" Josh asks.

"The Academy of the Future, aka the Hogs." Nick says with a little laugh and a drone voice.

"They're rank number two! We are only seven!" Cevin yells out raged.

"If we win we'll be number four!" Nick screams getting worked up. We pull in the parking lot and Nick parks his car near the back. Josh runs off to some of his new friends.

"Will you stay after for my football practice?" Nick asks while shoving his hands, along with his keys, in his pockets. The sun bounces off of his curls making me stare. His thick lips are pulled back into his carefree smile that I already, too soon might I add, find comforting. Though, I must admit he's really attractive.

"Sure, why not," I say. I don't really see in problem with it and I think it'll do me good staying out of the house.

We go to my locker and do the same thing as yesterday. The day sort of blurs by until we get to lunch and sit at the same table. I see Ben and wave him over. He smiles at me as he bounces over.