Chapter 37 - Things just keep getting worse.

I pressed my cold fingers against my eyes, rubbing them and forced myself out of bed.  My head already ached from falling off of the boat and now it hurt even more. I clearly drank way too much…what a night. 

I was finally able to spend time with Zayn. Just that one night with Zayn put a smile on my face. After going through a horrible week of pain, sorrow and loss, this was a great way to cheer me up. He never had to do much really. Just that warm smile he always welcomed me with, and his humble personality…it played a great effect on me. Whenever I was around him, I forgot the problems in my life. It was like there was no one else around us, but just us two. He helped me see the good in things. He taught me how to smile and appreciate everything I had. He was the kind of guy who lifts your spirits just by being around. It was just an innocent smile but it lit up my world…

I couldn’t seem to remember everything that had happened that last night too clearly, I could hardly remember how I had even gotten home. I think I remember Zayn carrying me home and up the stairs. I couldn’t quite recall the conversation we shared before we had left the club. Hopefully I hadn't said something I wasn’t supposed to. 

 "Rachel!! Guess whose back back. back, back again-gain-gain!" The annoying shrieking of a familiar voice ran down the hallway and into my bedroom. I groaned and pulled the covers over my face.

 "Eww go away Ali." I whined to my sister and shut my eyes again.

 Ali scowled crossing her arms in front of her chest.  “Fine meanie. But there’s some boy here to see you, that’s all I wanted to tell you.” She turned around and walked out.

My eyes shot back open and I sat back up on my bed. "Wait! Ali who's here?"

 Ali turned around still grumpy and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know his name, but he bought me candy! See! Oh and he has curly hair....oh hey! Isn't that your boyfraanndd, Harry?" Ali teased.

I blushed. It was so hard to say no, but it would be even harder saying yes. He wasn’t my boyfriend anymore. He couldn’t be until he wanted to be himself. Lots of people advised me to just tell him that they were together once. But no. I wanted him to fall in love with me again and not be forced to. It wasn’t true love if you were forced into it.  "Umm... no not anym--- no okay whatever, thanks for telling me. I'll be right down." l found there was no point in explaining the whole story to a 9 year old. She was too clueless anyways and just shrugged skipping away.

 I quickly got changed and fixed myself up. If Harry was here, I needed to at least look…presentable. But why was he here? It didn’t seem like it should matter. If he was here, he was here. There was nothing to complain about. Now I would have more time to have Harry to myself. Without Kate being around…hopefully.

I pulled my sweater off of my hanger and pulled over me as I rushed downstairs.  

 ---------------------------------------

 "Hey hun, make sure to eat your breakfast this time before you go. You always sneak out without eating it!" My mother scolded me. I rolled my eyes grabbing a bagel off of the counter. I couldn’t help but miss her daily complaints to me. “Yeah morning to you too mum.”

I noticed my mum smirking and gesturing for me to look ahead. I nodded and turned over, to see Harry sitting there on the couch talking to Ali. He was sat there carrying on a conversation with her and playing with her. That was a shock. No one was ever able to stand Ali that long enough. Ali was one of those kids who never got that much attention as a regular child should. Our father was well…it was like we never had one. And our mother was always at work. I was busy with my own things and Ali was always left with the babysitter. Ali tried everything she could to make herself noticed and the centre of attention after that, especially when new people were around. But instead, she ended up irritating them or getting irritated herself. She could never sit with someone for too long. Yet with Harry, she sat there just listening to him speaking while he told her stories. Harry didn’t only have an effect on girls his age, but kids as well. Harry finally realized I was stood in front of him. He smiled when made eye contact with me.