School (aka Hell)

Oct. 18th, Monday Morning

     I woke up with the biggest headache you could possibly imagine- it was probably because I hadn't eaten since two days ago and had barely slept, but none the less I managed to get ready for my morning training.

     ~Time Skip~

     I let out a long, depressed sigh as Alfred opened the limo door for Dick and I to get out. I grabbed my pink messenger bag and slung it over my shoulder once I was out.
"I'm so not ready for this." I muttered under my breath as I looked around at all the high schoolers running around and laughing.

     I had gotten the chance to take Sunday off, but despite my begging, Bruce wouldn't let me take off school. He said "School is top priority. If you can't handle both you won't be Blue Jay anymore." Which I think is kind of unfair considering I get straight A's and I had just watched my best friends and sister die.
"Dick! Dolly!" I heard my name being called, when I looked at who was cling me I noticed a girl jogging our way.

     She wore her auburn hair in high ponytail and a bright smile. Barbara Gordon- Commissioner's daughter, my best friend other than Robin.
"Hey Babs." I gave her a weak smile while Dick just waved. She stopped infront of us and gave us a strange look.
"What's wrong?" She asked. Dick forced a chuckle and ran a hand over his gelled, raven hair.
"Nothing." He said, waving his hand in front of him to signal nothing. She shrugged her shoulders and began leading us towards the school.

"So what did you guys do this weekend?" Babs asked as she sat down under our tree- it's the one place the three of us can be alone, since upperclassmen picked on us freshman and Dick and I always got teased for being "circus freaks". My heart sank into my stomach as I thought about what had happened Saturday.
"N-nothing." I stuttered.
"Just stayed in my room to be honest." Dick lied. I blinked back tears that were forming in my eyes.

    ~Time Skip~

     I heard the school bell ring so the three of us got up and started heading to class. Babs and I linked arms but Dick stayed a few steps behind us. Once we entered the double doors of Gotham Academy I felt a whisper in my ear.
"Are you sure you're okay? You and Dick are usually way more smiley." Babs asked. I nodded quietly. My eyes tracked my black shoes as they walked over the white tiles. When I looked up in saw Artemis leaning against a wall with her books cradled against her chest. She was starring at the ground with somber eyes. I excused myself and ran to the nearest bathroom.

    I slammed a stall door open, then shut, and began crying with my back against the now-closed door. Hot tears ran down my cheeks and I couldn't breathe.
"Dolls?!" I heard a familiar voice call out into the empty bathroom, empty because we were supposed to be in class. I unlocked the door and stepped out to see Artemis with puffy red eyes.
"We're so screwed up." I whispered as I walked over to her open arms. She began stroking my hair and whispering soothing words into my ear.
"It's okay, shhhh, it's okay, Dolls."
"I don't know if I can take this much anymore. I don't know if I can handle it." I admitted. She shook her head and said "yes you can- you're the strongest person I know."

     I pulled away from Artemis, when she saw my face she licked her thumb and began to wipe my running mascara (which is the only make up I wear). I cringed and tried to back up but she persisted.
"You'd think that with a dad as rich as yours that you'd be able to buy mascara that doesn't run." Artemis sighed jokingly, shaking her head. I laughed, but choked on my cry, sniffling unattractively.

     I shrugged my shoulders.
"We spent all my mascara money on your scholarship." Artemis rolled her eyes and gave me another hug.
"Fix your hair. I can see the blue." She whispered sadly before leaving the bathroom to go to class. I turned to look in the mirror to see that she was right- my bun was coming undone and a clear streak of cerulean was visible.

       I pulled my hair down so that I could put it back up again just as the bathroom door opened, a loud, girly cackle emitting from the frame. I quickly ran into one of the stales again.
"Wow, Vivian. That blue streak in your hair really suits you." A different voice complimented.
"Tell me something I don't know, Emily." Vivian snorted. I heard the unzipping of what I assumed was a make up bag and the opening of a lip gloss container.
"Well then I guess that leaves out telling you Dick Grayson will definitely ask you to the Halloween dance." Emily teased. My cheeks flushed red.

     'No way, Dick would never! He likes me! He likes Dolly!' I thought to myself. I peaked through the crack in the stale to see a black haired and brown haired girl starring into the mirror. The one with black hair had a blue streak in the same place Blue Jay did- near the middle of the front.
"If only I could get rid of that ugly little thing he calls a sister." Vivian groaned.
"But he would never date his sister, that's interest." Emily gasped.
"You're so stupid. First off, it's 'incest' and secondly they aren't blood related, they could still date." Vivian put her make up away and lead Emily out.

      It's a good thing Dick was just as torn down as I was after everything, or he would've realized what was up with me for the rest of the week. He would've noticed how much quieter and easily angered I had become had it not been that he was going through the same thing. He would've noticed I wasn't eating if he was eating. He would've noticed the bags under my eyes, but he had his own to worry about. Some nights, when the nightmares were so bad, I slept at the cave. For some reason it kept me at peace. Probably because the cave was where I realized that not everyone I cared about was gone; I felt safe there.