I shake my head. "Don't tell me this."

"Why? Because you'll admit that you still love him? That he does actually care for you?"

"Yes!"

She runs her nails through my hair, shaking it. "I'm going to pick out an outfit for you, do your makeup, and then we're going to pack an overnight bag because I'm staying here with Charles. And I've decided that every month, I'm going to spend some Auntie time with him so you two can escape for a night."

I sit up, shaking my head. "That's a sweet offer, V but no, Charles hasn't spent a night without me since... No, I can't."

"Emma." She plants her hands on my shoulders.

"What?"

"I cancelled a trip for this. I wasn't asking."

                                                            ***

"You look perfect," Veronica says, pulling up the zipper to a short, white sundress I've never worn before. It's pretty but right now, I could care less. I'm nervous. I'm nervous about what Matteo has in store, how I'll react to it, leaving Charles here all night with V.

She hands me sandals, white ones with small flowers along one of the straps. I get them on and stand up, looking at her warily. I opted for only nude lipstick and mascara, not wanting a full face of makeup.

"You're going to be fine," Veronica states, hugging me from behind. I clasp her hand on my shoulder and nod slowly.

"What if I..."

"No what if's, Em. Just go try to have fun. Try to connect."

"I can't help that I'm angry."

"You have every right to be, but Em, if you're going to talk about that today, try to listen to each other, calmly."

I nod, wrapping my arms over my chest. "Alright, let's just go. I'm getting more nervous the more I sit here and think."

"Alright," she replies as I walk to the door, inhaling deeply before I pull it open. Glancing around the room, I look for Matteo, but he's not there. Suddenly, I hear him talking from Charles room and my curiosity peaks. I make my way over the nursery quietly, glancing in through the sliver of the open door.

He's on the floor in a gray sweater and black jeans, handing a puzzle piece to Charles who takes it. He looks good in here.

"Okay, yeah... now put the puzzle piece down there in it's spot..." He points at the empty side the piece fits into. "Um, right there."

Charles, who is gazing at him strangely, sticks the piece of cardboard in between his lips, smiling. I smile too, unable to hold it back.

Matteo chuckles awkwardly, running a hand through his hair. "Or you can do that too."

"Emma."

My eyes pop out from their sockets when I'm caught eavesdropping. I look back at my evil sister, glaring before I turn back finding Matteo and Charles looking at me. My husband clears his throat and stands immediately, rubbing his hands nervously on his pants.

"He doesn't like those puzzles too much."

"Yeah, he just finds them appetizing," I joke weakly, backing up when he comes towards me. He clasps his hands together, unsure of what to do with them as his eyes appraise my outfit.

"You look... beautiful."

I glance at Veronica, who is watching us like a soap opera. "Thank you."