Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"You're late," I finish for him, having heard the excuse plenty. I close my eyes, smiling knowingly. "Alright, go."

He looks like he's about to fight me on it, but my phone also sounds, two different worlds pulling us in opposite directions. By the time I've reached for my phone, he's near the door, answering his. And I hate us both.

Seeing Danny's name on my screen, I let the call go to voicemail, simply staring at his name. Once I would have been grateful to have someone to talk about all of this too. He'd probably be there for me. There's a ping in the voicemail box, and I listen to it.

Emma, it's me. Danny, I mean. I'm in town for the next week. I spoke to your mother... she told me to reach out since she's too stubborn to. I'm pretty surprised to hear the news about your wedding. I had no idea what had happened but I know you're in a low spot at the moment. Anyways, you know I care about you and I'm here if you need me. I'd love to meet up somewhere, meet Charles if I could. I promise I'll behave.

I set the phone onto the counter, hating where my mind is taking me.

                                                            ***

"Yes, that's three!" I exclaim, holding the book up so Charles can see the pictures. We're in his bed, snug under the covers. There's a goat eating apples on the page. I point to all the red fruits, grinning. "Three apples."

He's watching intently as I turn the pages. He loves reading.

He loves reading and I love him.

It took three months to fall in love with this little boy. That's all it took. He still has dreams, nightmares. He still wakes up from them, but it's digressed to maybe once every three weeks. He sleeps through the night now mostly, and eats when he should. He's more defiant with Matteo than me and it's because he knows me better.

I experience a warm feeling as Charles curves into my body, resting his head against my breast tiredly.

"You sleepy?" I murmur, happily, setting down the book. He clasps my shirt, holding it tightly in his fingers. He smells of baby soap. It's such a distinct smell and I've become so accustomed to it. It's in these moments with him that I'm not crying or thinking of Matteo in bed with another woman.

So, naturally, I'm always here.

                                                            ***

"Thank you for taking him, V," I say, handing Charles over to my sister, who grins taking him.

"Hello, young man! How are you?"

He's stares at her warily, but he comes around easy. I grab my purse, reaching for my keys. "I shouldn't be long. Matteo left some sheet music here, so I'm going to drop them off at the rehearsal hall and then I'll stop for the chair and I'll be back."

"Get a doughnut. Take your time."

"A doughnut?"

Veronica chuckles, nodding, bouncing Charles on her hip. "Uh, yeah. You could gain some pounds. You're skin and bones."

I roll my eyes and look down at my dress. "But I look nice, right?"

She smirks. "Expecting something when you get to rehearsal?"

"No, it's just Matteo rarely sees me in anything nice now. We've been... having a hard time communicating. I'd like to look okay."

"You look better than okay," she presses, smiling. I nod, turning for the door.