Chapter 20: Muddy Waters

The dragons and the scavengers were trekking through the forest, they were coming up onto the swamps. Swamp was particularly excited for this part of the trek. He jumped into a mud puddle, sending splotches of mud flying.

One landed on Night's snout. "Ew," he said wiping the mud off. "How do you enjoy this mess?"

"It's relaxing," Swamp said lying on the mud. "It soothes my muscles."

"This? Relaxing? No way uh uh," Sahara said. Swamp splashed some towards her. She yelped as the mud splashed on her and she hissed at Swamp.

Ferris explained to them what the Raiders of Arceus were. They were a kind of criminal gang that stole valuables for years. Sometimes they would terrorize the kingdom.

"So you needed protection? Is that what you needed?" Forest asked stepping over a mud puddle.

"Not necessarily but generally yes," Ferris replied.

Come to me. . . the voice said again.

Darkstalker is that you? Night asked through thought.

No answer. Night felt something slither behind him. He swirled to see no one, only the scavengers trudging through the mud.

"I think something is following us," Night said.

"How can you tell?" Ital asked.

"I have special abilities remember? Not like the usual NightWings," Night explained.

"You know from your mind reading or foresight?" Snow questioned.

"More to mind reading, but. . . it feels a bit more mysterious," Night added.

"More mysterious than your mind reading?" Sapphire joked.

Night perked his ears up, he heard rustling, they were not from the humans nor the dragons.

"You hear that?" Night asked.

Snow listened carefully too. "Rustling," she said. "We should stay on our guard."

The scavengers drew their swords and bows, ready to fight.

If you won't come to me. . . said the voice again. I will come to you. . .

Night sensed the dragon now, and he did not have good intentions.

"Everyone! Down!" Night yelled.

A ball of fire shot from between the trees. The dragons were reacting ti slow as the fireball threatened to hit them all. Swamp stood in front of the dragons with wings outstretched, covering the group.

The ball hit Swamp and he flew backwards. "SWAMP!" Vulture cried.

Vulture turned to where the fireball shot from and growled. A dark colored dragon emerged from the trees and charged at the group. The dragon shot a blue coloured projectile at Night. The NightWing's eyes widened. He instinctively jumped into the shadows and disappeared. The shot missed but created a large explosion, making trees and a lot of the vegetation to catch on fire.

"Pyrrhia dragons! Leave this place!" the attacker said in a deep voice.

Night reappeared next to Sapphire who was checking on Swamp, who had his eyes closed. Sapphire jumped.

"Moons you scared me," she said. "Don't do that."

"Hey, it was instinct okay? I couldn't have dodged that you know," Night retaliated.

Night was expecting burns across Swamp's chest and burnt wing membrane. But Swamp was completely fine, there was a smell of burning scales but he was fine.

Swamp groaned and tried getting up, Night helped him. "You're a dragonblood hatch?" Night asked.

"Yes I am born from a dragonblood egg. But that still hurt, a lot," Swamp said getting back on his feet.

"It's a Furusato dragon, one that has powerful fire and can shoot some blue thing that caused an explosion," Night explained.

"We gotta help the others," Sapphire said looking at the rest of the group.

Snow was trying to freeze their attacker with frost breath but he was too quick. Vulture and Forest were trying their best to fend off the attacker while also protecting the humans. The humans were trying they're best to harm the dragon with they're weapons, but no luck.

"Agreed," Night said returning to the shadows. He shot fire towards their attacker. The dragon flinched but dodged, confused by the attack.

Night reappeared and clawed at the dragon. The dragon roared, grabbed Night by the neck and threw him. Night skidded across the muddy surface and hit a tree.

"Don't get involved Shadow-Wing!" The dragon yelled to Night. Night got back up and growled.

"So that you know I am only half Shadow-Wing!" Night yelled back.

The dragon looked confused and stopped attacking. "Impossible," the dragon said.

"I am and I can prove it," Night said. "For one, you already know I can go into shadows and for two, I can tell that you're thinking about biting my neck."

The dragon looked awestruck and amazed. "All right, I was mistaken," the dragon said calming down. "Princess Void wants to see you."

Night raised a brow. "The princess sent you?" He asked.

"No, I only heard about her announcement," he said. "I am Dusk, follow me to the princess."

"Yeah, like we're supposed to trust you after you attack us?" Snow challenged.

"No that was a misunderstanding and do you honestly have a better idea?" Dusk asked.

"Well- no. . ." Snow mumbled.

The group regathered, with bruises or scratches. Night was the only one that looked perfectly fine.

"I see that you have our healing factor," Dusk said to Night. "Oh, and your pet scavengers can be left here."

Night looked down at the humans. "He says you can't go any further," Night said to Ferris.

"Very well, we shall return to the kingdom," Ferris said. "Good luck on your quest."

"Thank you for your kindness Ferris," Night said. "We will return the favor in the future."

"You're talking to scavengers?" Dusk asked with a confused face. "Is he alright?" Dusk asked the rest of the dragons.

Sahara sighed. "We have animus objects that make us understand," she said.

"Oooookkkkaaaaayyyy," Dusk said. "Aaaaaaannnyway let's get moving."

"Hey, uh, did you say or think anything like a 'come to me' or something like that?" Night asked Dusk.

Dusk looked confused. "No, why do you ask?"

"Never mind, it's not important," Night said. Dusk turned around and started to lead them.

Dusk wasn't lying, Night read his mind and Dusk was telling the truth.

So if it wasn't Dusk, Night thought. Who was it?