Chapter 15: Flight to Destiny

Night was tired, they've been flying for at least an entire day. The sun had almost set and one of the three moons were rising to take the place of the sun. His wings felt sore to the bone, every wing beat felt like as if his wings were about to come off.

They're above the ocean now, flying around the outskirts of SkyWing territory. Which reminded Night. "Vulture?" Night called. Vulture turned his head around to look at Night. "If you're Ruby's brother, why exactly are we avoiding the SkyWing territory?"

"Yeah, why did we have to fly around it anyway?" Sahara asked.

"Probably because he's afraid of his sister," Snow joked.

"Actually, Snow's not half wrong," Vulture replied. "You have no idea how bad tempered she actually is, yeesh." Vulture shivered.

"Expecially when I bring 'unwanted guests'," he continued. "And also for me not being at Jade Mountain Academy, seeing me not polishing my scales, then-"

"We get it!" nearly everyone said in union.

"Can we stop?" Forest complained, his scales turning emerald with orange around his ruff. "I'm exhausted!"

"Fine, but we need to fly a bit more until we get to an island," Sapphire said.

"Uuuuuugggggghhhhhh," Forest said again, orange spreading to his tail.

"I'm not tired yet," Vulture commented.

"That's because you have bigger wings," Swamp mentioned.

"How far is this island anyway?" Night asked.

"It's that one," Sapphire said pointing to a small island in the distance. "Still a bit to go."

"Someone carry me," Forest moaned looking very tired.

"Stop over reacting Forest," Snow demanded, sounding irritated.

They reached the island in a matter of minutes. Everyone (except Vulture) collapsed onto the beach. Night arrived there last, he too just fell onto the sand. The warm white sand felt good against his scales, it felt, relaxing. He buried his snout into the sand and felt the warmth of it sink into his sore muscles. He fell asleep then and there.

~~~

Seagulls watched from above the trees. Curiously looking down at the seven sleepy dragons on the beach. Night stirred in his sleep, sand covering his black scales.

"Night, wake up," a female voice said. He felt a talon poke him in the side. Night rolled onto his back, sending sand everywhere.

"Just five more hours," he mumbled in his sleep.

"That's not how to wake someone up," another female voice said. "This is how you wake someone up."

Night spat out a big breath as he felt a dragon drop onto his chest, waking him up. He looked up to see Snow sitting on top of him, smiling cheekily. Sapphire giggled not far from them.

"What was that for?" Night asked whilst coughing, he assumed Snow must've jumped on him because that's what it felt like. That or she is much much more heavier than Night had expected.

"For not waking up, now come on," Snow said getting off of him, her smirk vanishing as quickly as it came.

Night stood up shaking off the sand in his wings. He jumped into the water trying to get the rest of the sand off. The sand dissolved quickly in the salty water. He walked back up to the beach. Forest was under a banana tree, picking the fruit off of it. Swamp and Vulture trying to corner a boar and Sahara was sitting very far from the water.

Forest was a gold and blue that day. The RainWing grinned with a thought bubbling in his head. Night sighed, smiling. "Sahara, you might want to move from there," Night said to the SandWing.

"What? Why?" Sahara asked tilting her head in confusion.

A huge wave of water hit Sahara as she softly shrieked, she looked behind her to see Forest smiling cheekily by the tide.

"Hey!" Sahara said using her wing to shield herself. Forest did it a second time, laughing.

"Stop it Forest!" she demanded sounding mad, but she was actually feeling happy. Night could sense that. Yellow was spilling onto Forest's scales. Night noticed some pink around his ruff and at the tip of his tail. He chose not to say anything even though it was obvious.

How Vulture and Swamp came back with three boars, Night didn't know but didn't complain. They equally spread the boar and began to eat. Night thought about something. He hasn't heard Darkstalker in his head for an entire day, which was rare. Night's 'off switch' for his mind reading has been working very well too, he rarely ever hears his winglet's thoughts unless he wanted to.

"Since we're all here," Sapphire said. "Why not we talk about something?"

"Yeah, maybe we should discuss why we all went to Jade Mountain in the first place," Swamp offered.

"Well," Vulture started. "Ruby said that I should go, to learn from other tribes. She completely supports the ideas of Jade Mountain Academy, it's pretty cool how all the tribes can get together and socialize."

"My sibs and I were offered by the queen to go there, since we were doing our duties well," Swamp said. "There was only one spot left though, since I was the youngest my sibs decided I should go."

"My mother enrolled me, that's all," Sapphire said.

"We were tested, and I so happened to be the few dragons that passed," Sahara shrugged.

"Queen Glory chose us specifically," Forest mentioned, proudly.

Everyone looked at Snow. "We were ordered by our queen, to show how great the IceWing tribe is," Snow said. "Of course she chose to send some of the best our tribe had to offer."

Now everyone had their looks at Night. "It's- a long story," Night said.

"Oh do tell descendant of Darkstalker," Snow mused.

"Yeah, tell us," Sahara said.

"Well, you already know that Queen Glory didn't send me, because I've never been to the NightWing village in the rainforest. I hatched in the forest, under two full moons." Night reminded.

"So I lived near Jade Mountain, with someone named Galaxy. He took me in, taught me about the war and such. He was the only other dragon who knew about my powers. I lived with him for years. But, I found out that he had a massive part in the NightWing conquering plan, so I ran away. It was months since I ran away, and I found a cave that suited me. That's when I heard about Jade Mountain Academy. So I just enrolled myself."

Everyone was silent. "Well, that was certainly dramatic," Snow said.

"That's kind of sad, sorry we asked," Sapphire said.

"It's okay, it's not a sensitive topic," Night replied. Hmm, weird, Night thought. Darkstalker hasn't commented yet, that's unusual of him. Oh right, Night thought smacking himself mentally. I'm out of range from him, at least he still has Moon.

He tried to mentally slap himself again. He forgot to tell Moon that he was leaving, by all the moons Night was too forgetful.

"Let's continue flying," Night said. With that everyone took to the air.  Leaving the leftovers of their eaten prey behind, along with the island.