Chapter 16: Not Scavengers

Night took a bite out of a goat he caught. It felt good being back near the mountains. It wasn't exactly the mountains, but they were close enough.

"Where's all the fruit?" Forest asked. Night heard Forest's stomach growling.

"There isn't any you stupid RainWing," Snow said. "We're near the mountains."

Night and the others were resting near a beach. They were at the wingtip of Pyrrhia now.

Sapphire leaped out of the water, looking like she's having fun.

"You can try fish," Night suggested to Forest.

"I'll go catch some," Swamp suddenly said, heading towards the beach. Vulture snickered.

"MudWings and their typical appetite," Vulture joked.

"Catch some for all of us!" Night called after Swamp. "We'll need to get going after this!"

"None for me," Sahara said. "It's too slippery for my taste."

"So first you complain about fruits, and now you complain about fish?" Forest teased.

"Hey, fish and camels aren't exactly the same," the SandWing clarified.

"I'm going for a fly," Night said standing up.

"Alone?" Snow asked.

"It's just for a while, might find some seals too," Night offered.

"No thank you," Snow declined. Surprisingly politely.

Why did I say that? It's just seals, no harm can be done. Even seals from NightWings. Snow thought. She stomped out all her private thoughts, knowing Night might hear.

"Yeah, it's only just seals Snow, what harm can come?" Night replied to her thoughts, smiling. Snow flinched a bit.

"Stay out of my thoughts NightWing," Snow demanded.

"I can't decide if that's a warning or a invitation," Night said, making a cheeky grin. Night saw Snow make a small smile as he took off. A subtle smile, but s smile nonetheless. Worth it, he thought.

Night flew along the beach spotting some dolphins swimming past. He passed a banana tree reminding himself that he should tell Forest about that. Night was already pretty far from the spot where they rested. He saw a couple more palm trees, a large wooden bowl riding the waves as well as- Wait what? he thought, cutting off his train of thought. Night flew closer to it.

When he was close enough he saw scavengers in the bowl. Scavengers? Out in sea? Outrageous. Night thought.

They were wearing some armour. They also brought the little toothpick things along with some small spears. Night was taught that scavengers spoke in squeaks, but not for Night. When one of them saw him, it yelled something.

The rest of them got little sticks and one long curved stick each, night became curious. Then they started firing the little sticks at Night, it dug right in between his scales.

Night roared in pain. How can sticks hurt so badly? "Stop firing you stupid scavengers, I didn't do anything to you," Night yelled, trying to avoid the sticks flying towards him.

He was close enough to hear them now. "Hold your fire!" one scavenger ordered putting a fist up. The rest did what he told.

"Did the dragon just talk?" another scavenger asked.

"Yes I did," Night answered for them. They all jumped.

"See? I'm not crazy! Dragons do talk!" one scavenger said with an oddly familiar voice.