Chapter 9: Painting Shadows

Night strolled around the hallway, he explored a bit while Forest was doing his sun-time. It was already getting dark, he was trying to find something to do.

He then came across the art cave with a few dragons Night could sense. Forest did say to try another hobby, why not? Night thought as he went in the art cave.

He saw, suprisingly, Moon, and another NightWing. The NightWing had a lean face with sharp jawbones and deep hollows under his eyes, and he thought about food constantly.

He looked up and saw several of the glass globes, now lit on the ceiling, glowing with firelight. Moon and the other Nightwing turned their heads towards Night.

"Oh, hi Night," Moon greeted him.

"I'm surprised to see you here," Night said. "I usually see you in the library."

"I just wanted to, um, paint," Moon said.

"I've never seen you before in the NightWing village," the NightWing stated.

"Sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Nightfighter, I grew up in the mountains my whole life so I've never actually been to the NightWing village," Night said.

Him too? The NightWing thought. How many Nightwings escaped the volcano? 

"I'm Mightyclaws, I'm guessing you're here to paint?" Mightyclaws asked. Is he here because of Moon? Or is it because of me? Maybe Starflight made him do this as well, Mightclaws' thoughts trailed.

Night nodded as a response, he grabbed a canvas and placed it on a easel, positioning it so no one can see each other's painting. Night grabbed a few brushes and paints as he started painting.

Nobody said anything for awhile, Mightyclaws's thoughts buzzing like a bee. No idea what I'm doing. Why does Starflight think this will help me? Would it be weird to go back to the prey center again tonight? Maybe there will be some sheep left. Three meals in one day; will anyone notice? Or yell at me? Why is Moon here? Obviously Night's here to paint. Maybe Starflight sent her, too. Although she doesn't have any trauma to work through. With her perfect life in the rainforest, Night's too in the mountains, always as much they wanted to eat, no adult dragons yelling at her, no classes on lying, no death smoldering right over their heads all the time. . .

That wasn't particularly true, his life wasn't perfect, he spent months in the Sky Kingdom in Scarlet's arena, he didn't always get as much food as he wanted, Galaxy sometimes yells at him and Galaxy sometimes teaches somethings about lying.

"Do you like it here?" Moon finally asked Mightyclaws, breaking the silence. He twitched his tail and his thoughts changed.

"I guess." It's more like the fortress here than the rainforest, except it smells better and there's sunshine. And prey, and dragons of all colours.

"It's weird being around all other tribes, isn't it?" Moon asked.

"Definitely," he said. "We were always told to stay away from them unless we were on a mission. Like, to deliver a prophecy or put the fear of NightWings in them. Otherwise, stay away so they don't figure us out."

"That we're ordinary, you mean?" Moon asked. He flicked his wings with a frown.

"NightWings aren't ordinary." Of course she would think so. "We're more intelligent than any other tribe. We shape the world; other dragons just live in it."