Martian Rendezvous

Beyond the dome, the red sky of Mars gradually turned a pale indigo blue as the sun edged toward the horizon.

Despite the fact that he had paid top credit for this booth, the one with the best view, Nao was not giving the sky his full attention. With only half an eye on the sunset, Nao kept glancing across to the entrance, waiting for his guest to arrive. They'd made the arrangement to meet here a fortnight ago, forgetting it was Valentyn's Day and the restaurant would be packed with couples. Valentyn's Day was an old Earth custom enjoying a recent revival, harking back to a romantic past. The hospitality industry had seized the concept with open arms and it was proving popular with the younger crowd.

In fact, this had been the last table available.

He couldn't help a wry smile. Naturally, it had been the most expensive booth, but if it helped him get what he wanted, it was going to be worth the expense.

He sipped his drink then twirled the ruby glass in one hand, the sparkling liquid hardly touched.

~~~

Luca was worried. Gina was not going to be happy. It was too late to book a decent venue for the Valentyn's Day dinner she had hinted at and now they'd have to be content with a fancy meal from the processing unit in his apartment. Not quite the glamorous event she'd be hoping for. As daughter of the Dome's manager, and businesswoman in her own right, Gina was used to the good life.

Perhaps, if he bought a bottle of expensive wine, even a vintage Martian Spritzig if he could find one, he could pretend a cosy dinner for two was what he had planned all along.

He was seated at his console unit, searching the stores for that special bottle, when he got the message.

"Hark! You have an important communication! Congratulations! You are Galaxy Gourmet's 1000th customer. You have won a Valentyn's Day special dinner for two at the Red Planet Cafe! Your table has been reserved for 20:00. Please confirm attendance."

Well, that was a stroke of luck! The Red Planet wasn't the most exclusive restaurant, probably not the one he would have chosen for this important date, but it was better than nothing. Luca frowned. He hadn't actually been online with Galaxy Gourmet at the time of the message, but.... his face cleared. He had browsed there earlier. He'd certainly been a customer often enough to deserve a reward.

~~~

Inside the bubble car, Kobin watched the sun set, the sky that beautiful indigo colour that only appeared on Mars. Although an underground tunnel connected Duo with Prime Dome, he'd allowed himself the treat of taking a bubble car across the surface.

His lips curved in appreciation. Earth above, it was good to be back on Mars. He sank gratefully into the comfortable seat, pleased to be autodriven for once. He rolled his shoulders, still stiff from the long flight home and checked his wristcom again. He didn't want to be late.

Only hours ago he'd been far out in the asteroid belt, piloting a group of miners back and forth between their sites. Then he'd brought a couple of engineers who'd finished their contracts on Ceres, home to Mars. He'd barely had time to catch an hour's sleep before he'd had to shower and dress in a fresh grey pilot's uniform, ready for his meeting with Nao Qin.

Although he was looking forward to the meeting, very interested to hear about the proposition Qin wanted to put to him, he couldn't help feeling a slight twinge of regret. If only Valentyn's Day hadn't been the one day Qin was free. It would have been rather wonderful if he'd been on his way out for a romantic dinner with his lover, instead of a business meeting. Still, they'd catch up soon—before his next trip out—if he had any say in it. And this time he'd insist they go out for a meal, not just a drink or two before sex in his apartment. Not that there was anything wrong with sex in his apartment, he smiled to himself, it was just... sometimes, he wanted more.