True Love

Author's Note - Submitted for RaeKitano's 2015 Valentine Day challenge - how do your characters celebrate their love - or not?  This story was originally written for @rskovach 14 Days of Valentine Collection (2014) but I think it fits this criteria perfectly.  I would have written a new story but I hurt my arm earlier this week and I'm struggling to write even this short note!

Justin looked in the mirror and straightened his silk tie a fraction of an inch. Fastidiously he gave a quick brush to each shoulder, removing any stray hairs from his grey suit and checked that his teeth were clean and his breath fresh. Finally satisfied, he squared his shoulders and went out of the bathroom. It was his first day on the job and he wanted to look as smart and professional as he could. 

Abercrombie, Smith, and Unwin was an old established law firm, conservative and traditional. He was doing his best to fit in. If he looked suave, dressed conservatively and acted like his own father, no-one at the firm would ever need to know that he was gay. Not that he would lose his job if the firm found out, at least he was pretty sure he wouldn't, but he bet anything he would be stereo typed. Given the civil jobs, not the criminal cases he yearned for. 

Naturally enough, Jeremy disapproved. Strongly. "It's 2014 for heaven's sake, not 1914!" he protested. "You should be able to be yourself. How will we ever get equality if gays keep pretending to be straight?" 

"I'm not pretending to be straight," lied Justin, from the opposite side of their kitchen table. "Well, only until I get established there, prove myself to be a competent criminal lawyer." 

"Hmm," muttered Jeremy, drawing angry rectangles on the notepad beside him. He drew little handles on them.  

"I am not in the closet," Justin protested, getting angry himself. "You should know that better than anyone." 

"Well it sure seems like it." 

Justin had grabbed his shiny new leather briefcase and stalked out, he couldn't afford to get into a fight now and be late for work. He continued the argument in his head all the way to the train station and into the city. By the time he reached his office, 'Jeremy' had agreed, though reluctantly, that he was doing the right thing. 

XXX 

Jeremy felt miserable all day, wondering whether he should call Justin at work to apologise. He hated fighting with him. Not that he thought he had anything to apologise for, except for the fact that he had upset his lover. He still thought he was right to criticise his decision, but maybe he could have been a bit more diplomatic. 

He sighed and ran a hand through his shoulder length seal brown hair. He supposed he had it easy in his own job. Everyone expected an interior designer to be gay. Perhaps he should be more sympathetic, but ... He hated it when Justin pretended to be straight, it made him feel as if he, Jeremy, didn't count. 

He had almost talked himself into apologising over dinner when Justin sent him a text message at about four o'clock to say that he wouldn't be home until late. He was going out after work for a few drinks with his new colleagues. 

Well, two could play at that game. He didn't have to sit around moping at home. He had friends, he could go out too and have a few drinks.  

Jeremy looked critically in the mirror and applied a little more blue eye shadow. He smiled in approval, that was more like it. The cobalt blue was exactly the same colour as his silk shirt, it had arrived only that week from his favourite online shop. It had silver baroque embroidery in two strips down the front, very stylish. His silver hoop earrings had a matching cobalt stripe. Black satin trousers completed the ensemble. All in all, he thought he looked pretty sick!