Chapter One. Jace.

"Now this is a story all about how, my life got flipped-turned upside down. And I'd like to take a minute, Just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air!"

I screamed to the top of my lungs, my annoyingly terrible voice echoing through the car. I smiled over at my partner in crime, Jace, as he just rolled his eyes at me. He placed both his hands of the steering wheel as I blasted the volume, letting my hair fly all around the car.

"In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground was where I spend most of my days, chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool, and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school-"

The music was abruptly cut off when Jace's ringtone filled the car, making me let out a groan. The Caller-ID read, "Erica", causing me to let out an even louder groan. Jace cursed under his breath as he hit accept, gripping the steering wheel.

"Hey, babe."

Jace gave me a sympathetic look before a high pitched yell blasted through the speakers of the car. 

Great, this again.

"Where are you? Jacie, I've been waiting for 10 minutes. I'm gonna freeze off my new shoes."

Jacie? What kind of nickname is that?

Jace rolled his eyes as he let out a groan, his knuckles turning white from the grip on the wheel.

"Babe, it's friday. Movie night with Scar."

He looked at me and lightly smiled as he said this. Jace's girlfriend of almost one year always seems to forget that he has friends outside of her. Not to mention, Jace and I have been attached at the hip since before we could walk. We've literally been together since diapers.

"Since when is that little whore more important than me? You know you don't have to hang out with her just because her psycho mom killed herself, right?"

I felt an immediate lump form in my throat as those words echoed in my head. I tuned out the rest of the conversation, more yelling, lots of cussing, then lots of apologizing. This happened every friday, also the one day of the week I get to spend with my best friend. Erica gets the other six.

Jace hung up and immediately turned to me.

"Scarlett-"

I motioned for him to stop talking the second he used my full name. Jace only does this when he is about to bring up something serious, I wasn't ready for that. It's been eight months since my moms passing, and I wasn't ready to start talking about it. Not even to Jace.

"Let's just hurry home, I don't wanna miss any second of our Netflix marathon!"

Jace only nodded, I could tell he wanted to say more. The rest of the ride was filled with silence until he pulled up to my house. He didn't even turn my music back on, jerk.

The second he put the car in park I ran into my house and threw my bag onto the floor. I switched the TV on, pulled on a pair of sweatpants and let my hair down.

"Jesus, Scar, I barely parked the car, and you're already six episodes into Stranger Things."

I rolled my eyes, for the millionth time, and motioned for him to grab snacks from the pantry.

Jace plopped down on the couch beside me, tossing me a bag of Doritos. I ripped them open and shoved a handful into my mouth, chewing loudly. I was almost jumping in anticipation of binge watching my favorite show.

"God, turn the volume up. I can't hear over the sound of you breaking rocks over there."

I threw a pillow at him which he only caught and threw back at my face, sending me flying back and onto the floor.  I landed right on my butt, with a thud.