23

Morgan stepped out of the cloud of dust, blowing her bangs out of her eyes. She looked down, the turned around to the other figure. "It's okay Stephanie, it's just Brett."

My heart beats as I see my wife step out from behind Morgan.

She doesn't look any different. Still beautiful.

"Why did you knock him out?" She asked.

"I don't know." Morgan answered looking down.

Stephanie looked over looking a me for a moment.

"Morgan." She pulled the sleeve of the young lady beside her. "Morgan, it's Matt."

"Hmm?" Morgan turned to me, allowing me to see the filth on her face. "It is Matthew."

"Matthew!" My wife suddenly was in my arms, hugging me tightly. I hugged her back, letting her break into tears.

"I thought you wouldn't come here." She whispered softly.

"I would never leave you, Steph," I whispered. "We searched so hard for you guys."

"We?" Morgan asked. "Does 'we' mean you and Nate?" She asked, setting her bat down.

"Were you with Nate? Is he okay? Is he alive? Is he hurt? Where is he?" She asked me fifty million questions.

"Nate isn't with me. He was, but he went missing a couple days ago. I don't know if he's okay or not. Is he alive? I don't know, and I don't know where he is." I explained to her.

She looked at me. "Matthew, we need to find him. He's in trouble!" She started. "If we don't find him in time, he'll die. I know what this guys plan is, he's after Nate." Morgan continued.

"Nate disobeyed or something." Stephanie added silently.

"See?" Brett asked rubbing his head.

"He disobeyed, and now this guys after him." Stephanie told me.

"He's going to kill Nate, if we don't hurry." Morgan narrowed her eyes.

"We'll find him!" I tell her. "I promise, but first, we need to get you two cleaned up, and you guys need to rest."

--

I brought the girls back to the hotel where Nate and I were staying.

Both ladies have showered and eaten. Brett and Phoebe were going through some of the bags we brought, Stephanie was eating, and Morgan was drying her hair with a towel, looking at the map Nate had made.

"He drew this?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Then he knows the plan of this sick bastard. " Morgan startefd. "He knows where he's going, and he knows his exact route."

"Nate knows more than we do." I say.

I look at Morgan for a moment. She really doesn't look Pregnant, but what do I know. All I know is that she is pregnant. I can't let her get hurt. If she is harmed, Nate will make me regret half my life.

"So what's the plan?" I ask.

"We find out where he is going." Brett said to us.

"There's only one place Nate would go." Morgan looked up. There's only one place he would go."

"And that is?"

"He's going to Burbank." She said.

"Why would he go to Burbank?" Steph asked us.

"Why wouldn't he?" Morgan asked. "He knows that place best. We've lived there for a year and a half." She said, reviewing something.

She fell silent for a moment, as everyone went back to what they were doing.

"I think I know what Nate is planning." The young women looked up.

"What?" Phoebe asked.

"I think Nate thinks I'm dead. This guy convinced him that I was dead." She said.

"But you're not!" I say.

"Obviously, idiot!" She snapped.

"If he thinks you're dead.. Then.. What is he going to do?" Brett asked.

"If what I said is true.. Then, he's going to make a scene, he's going to let this psycho kill him!" She explained.

"What?" Stephanie asked.

"He doesn't want to live. He thinks we're dead. To Nate, he thinks this psychopath broke their deal, so he's going to let himself die."