13

The sound of rain woke me up. Opening my eyes, I see the rain coming through the broken window in Nate's apartment.

"Nate, the window is broken, there's rain coming in the house." I say, then look over, to see him still asleep. Still asleep? Interesting... He was the first one awake yesterday. Must be tired.

Walking away for a minute, I look out the broken window. it's barely light out, but the rain was hitting me in the face. With a sigh, I look back over to the couch Nate was asleep on. Skip as asleep by his head, curled up by his neck.

"Nate?"

Nothing..

Can he even hear me.

"Nate, c'mon. Gotta get up. We have to get a move on." I say, tapping his shoulder, causing Skip to jump off.

But he did not move..

Why won't he wake up?

"Nate, seriously! Wake up!" I start shaking him, to the point where he should wake up.

Still no movement.

Did something happen to him last night, that I was not aware of? I would've heard it.. I'm an extremely light sleeper.

"Nate!?" I'm now panicked, shaking him frantically.

"Nate, this isn't funny. Wake the hell up!!"

Still nothing. As I shake him, I notice something. Something I should've seen at the beginning.

How did I not see that he was coated in blood?!

"Nate!"

"Nate! Wake up!"

I can't help but shake him.

I'm panicking now. He needs to wake up.

Is he dead?

I can see blood staining his hair, and running from his forehead. 

Was he attacked again last night?

He's bleeding from every wound I tried to close.

So he was.. He was attacked.

What do I do? Bring him in to the hospital? I can't.. People think he's dead. 

But if I leave him here, he will die..

Every thought runs through my head..

If I leave him hidden, he will die.. and if I bring him in, the first thing that he'll wake up to are news reporters.

"Nate.. Nate wake up please.. Wake up."

"Wake up! Wake up! Please! Wake up!"

All of a sudden, I heard Nate gasp for air, as he sat up.

"What happened?" He asked, moving quickly, looking around.

"You blacked out. I dunno why?"

"Hmm." He sighed getting up, only to stumble back.

"Maybe you should just sit back for a moment."

"Naw I'm fine." He said, standing up again. He seemed fine, all until he froze again, staring at the one blank wall in his house."

"Nate?" I ask, "what's the matter?"

"-- No.. --" He whispered. "No.. No, no, no, no.."

"Nate, talk to me. "What's going on?"

He wouldn't move.. He's frozen.

"Nate!" I yell, snapping him out of his trance. He shook his head, then looked at me.

"Matt, we're not alone." He said. "They are here.. Not sure where, but they are here

"How do you know?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

He just shook his head, closing his eyes.

"We don't have much time.." He sighed..

"We're running out of time."