I swallow and turn, flexing my fingers. Exiting behind someone, I find Matteo pacing next to the large potted plants. Upon seeing me exit, he shakes his head, blinking.

"Baby."

"I'm okay. Just nervous," I admit, clearing my throat. "Thankfully someone took pity on me and gave me a disposable toothbrush. I'm afraid I'm not going to look or feel my best today."

"You look perfect, Emma. Perfect." He grabs ahold of my face, tenderly. "Just tell me if you want to go home. I can find a way to get Charles. You don't have to worry about that. If you don't want to do this..."

"Will you quit trying to make me leave?" I ask exasperatedly.

"I still can't believe you haven't."

I fix his tie, touching him because it calms me. "We'll make this work, right?"

"Matteo Giordano and Emma Simone. Proceed to Court Room Two," the overcome announces abruptly. There's no running from this now.

We've made our decision. We're here.

"Ready?" he whispers, sounding scared. Just as a scared as I am.

                                                            ***

Rory greets me with my new marital name when we enter the building to the CPS office. "I think congratulations are in order, Mrs. Giordano. Mr. Giordano."

Blushing, I divert my eyes with a nervous smile, feeling Matteo's wedding band on his finger against my back. "Thank you."

"Where is he?" Matteo asks. "Have we been granted approval?"

"Yes, temporarily. You'll need to be back here tomorrow at 3 PM for the hearing. I told the judge about your nuptials, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully he takes it as a sign of how badly you want Charles."

"That is the reason we did this," Matteo states, disapproving of Rory's uncertainty. "We got engaged and married within twenty-four hours so we could take care of him. My wife isn't even going to have a honeymoon, alright?"

"I didn't mean to offend you. Wrong word choice... I respect what you both have done. This child will need a lot of affection, a lot of care. He's still very young."

I swallow, nodding. "He's two, correct?"

"Two and a half, yes. His birthday is in six months. September 4th." He hands me a packet. "This has all of his information. Birth records. Allergies, to which he has none. It's all there."

"When can we see him?"

"I'll tell them you're here. Just wait here."

Rory turns and walks up to the window, handing over a document and points over at us. Within moments, a young woman brings out the young toddler... Charles. He's still so small. His wild hair is platinum blonde. His eyes are swollen and dark, from crying. Poor thing.

I look at Matteo, who's staring at the child as if he were an apparition, some make-believe thing. Charles is quiet, scratching his head tiredly. I step forward, breathing in deeply.

"Hello, Charles. I'm Emma... This is Matteo. We've met before—"

"I want mummy."

I glance at the woman holding him, unsure of what to do. I can only nod. "I know you do, sweetheart. But you're coming home with us."

"No."

My smile fades, my stomach flipping at his refusal. I feel Matteo's hand on my back. "Charles, I'm your... cousin. This is my wife. We're your family."